Stainless Extractors

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
FX Panelvan

Stainless Extractors

Post by FX Panelvan »

G'day All

I have a question for those that have experience with stainless extractors. Now I know a lot of people call them "headers" but I am a bit old fashioned. And try to resist the continual pressure we get to adopt the American version of English and their way of adopting different names for almost everything.
So they are extractors to me.
Any way my question is this. Will it help to keep the engine bay temperature down if I get them ceramic coated. At present they glow red even at relatively low revs., and they let off a lot of heat.
So give me the benefit of your experience, any other solutions? I believe that wrapping them is not the solution as it causes odd heat fracturing. As well as looking very ordinary.

Regards

Brian
regards

Brian
ThunderRoad

Re: Stainless Extractors

Post by ThunderRoad »

First of Extractors vs Headers has nothing to do with American vs Aussie Lingo, They are as different to each other as an exhaust manifold is.
If your exhaust are glowing red then obviously the motor is tuned wrong (ether to lean or timing is out) & Coating the pipes will not do any thing, it will just burn the coating off.
Your best value for money would be to get some one who is competent to tune your motor first, then decide if you would like to have the pipes coated to further reduce under hood temputure
FX Panelvan

Post by FX Panelvan »

Thanks T Road

For the quick reply. But that is not the answer to my question.
Is the ceramic coating effective?

Regards
regards

Brian
T1916

Post by T1916 »

Hi FX panelvan

Short answer, YES, but to do them right, they sandblast both inner land out. Then ceramic coat inside and out. Extractors because of the thinner wall will heat up quicker. And stainless, because of it poor heat conductivity will head up and be hotter around the heads. Cast iron headers which are thicker have a tendency to absorb less heat and disperse it better,
On my T I have the original 302 Windsor exhaust manifolds slightly modified, but with the ceramic coating I only have about 40mm gap to my bonnet sides and have never had a problem with heat. But on the 360 dodge, ceramic coated extractors do give off a lot more heat.

Cheers GT.
torana68

Post by torana68 »

ThunderRoad wrote:First of Extractors vs Headers has nothing to do with American vs Aussie Lingo, They are as different to each other as an exhaust manifold is.
If your exhaust are glowing red then obviously the motor is tuned wrong (ether to lean or timing is out) & Coating the pipes will not do any thing, it will just burn the coating off.
Your best value for money would be to get some one who is competent to tune your motor first, then decide if you would like to have the pipes coated to further reduce under hood temputure
what he said, especially the tuning.......I have extractors on my HQ and they are much cooler than bare metal , been on there around 20 years now......
wanted : chrome reverse 15" Ford pattern
Blow1940

Post by Blow1940 »

Yes the coating does work. here is a link to youtube where they were test different size headers and do 2 the same just coated and un-coated and show the difference in temps at the pipes.
FX Panelvan

Post by FX Panelvan »

Thanks all for the replies.
Looks like the coating may be worth it.

Regards
regards

Brian