1933 coupe TK 480 Help needed

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
HYPORX
Old Hand

Post by HYPORX »

"Obviously your ambition outweighs your talent" Casey Stoner to Valentino Rossi. 03/04/2011
rx4ord
Old Hand

Post by rx4ord »

Thanks for that Caleb. Pics 1,2 and 5 are from 1958. No. 3 is from 1961. Pic no. 4 is 1971 and nos 6 and 7 are 2005 with present owner Daryl. Dave
Founding Member of OZ-E-Rodders
rx4ord
Old Hand

Post by rx4ord »

Still after any more info and pics if anyone has some. Surely my old mate LEO has some memories. Probably even had a ride in it. Dave
rx4ord
Old Hand

Post by rx4ord »

G'day again. Have you found any more pics LEO ? If possible can you PM me Rip Kirbys details. The mate who owns the car is still looking for info. Dave
rx4ord
Old Hand

Post by rx4ord »

Here it is TJ. Dave
rx4ord
Old Hand

Post by rx4ord »

We have a new member. He is TK480 the current owner of this piece of history. Welcome Darryl. Dave
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

Thought the number plate rang a bell.......

rowie
Old Hand

Post by rowie »

Another brilliant historic thread!

Thanks so much guys, never ever get enough of these types of threads and lessons.

The images of ground roots rodding is something I could sit and look at (and talk about, well listen) for hours upon end.
"Low Self Esteem Support Group will meet Thursday at 7 PM.. Please use the back door."

Chrysler Restorers Club of Australia
I actually drive my 1936 Dodge Resto-rod :)
rx4ord
Old Hand

Post by rx4ord »

Hey Gerry where is that pic taken and who are the blokes. Do you have more and some tales to go with them as well? Dave
Mike
Old Hand

Post by Mike »

rx4ord wrote:Hey Gerry where is that pic taken and who are the blokes. Do you have more and some tales to go with them as well? Dave
I'd take a punt on Pakenham ........
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

Thought the number plate rang a bell.......

I didn't take that photo, Lynn Arrowsmith did and he gave it to me with a stack of others :D .

I am waiting for him to ring me back with details of where and when.

I know the Romans came to Melbourne mid 60's to attend Riverside but that background is not Riverside and I know he never went to Pakenham.

Actually......if I didn't know better......I would have said the Ballarat Swap Meet. :shock: ......right up the back.

Soon as I know I will post unless Early Iron spots it.......he will know.
Are you there Ray?

What I can tell you is that I did a bit of detective work today and the Garry Smith you mentioned after the Rip Kirby era is the Garry of Garry and Warren Smith Holden dealer fame.
If he is still about he may be able to fill in the gaps for you.

Also, I know that there was a blue 33/34 Channelled coupe in Melbourne called Blue Heaven which had been around for years and subsequently went to Tassie.

Wonder if it is the same one?

Will post more when I've got something.

PS.........anyone notice the car next to it?
Looks like a channelled 37? Roadster.......any clues on that one?
Bob Honeybrook

Post by Bob Honeybrook »

The Smiths also owned Australian Auto Accessories as well. They used to sell all the early Ed Roth Tee shirts and stuff like that.
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

Just got a call from Lynn.

He did not take that photo but seems to think he got it off Eddie Ford.

He made an interesting observation about the fence.........it looks like it was meant to keep people out not farm animals.......so it could probably have been taken at Pakenham..

Any way........as he has the original photo, he checked on the back and someone has written........34 Ford Dec 61.

And I think it is a 34 too......but can't quite make out the bonnet ribs on the cowl but the bottom of the cowl in the other photos suggests a hole for the bonnet to catch on to.

Will keep trying, I know someone who will know.
Early Iron

Post by Early Iron »

Firstly; I totally agree with Rowie's remarks. And further on that Steve Simpson (another OLD ROMAN) mentioned a great idea to me a year or so back about having a Get Together of old hands in our Hot Rodding world just to talk about or brilliant and elusive past. Any ideas??
Now to Gerry's comments - I am flattered with your remarks that I might know the history of this car and many others but I must pass that high qualification on to Lynn Arrowsmith as he is the Hot Rodder whom I look up to and respect outright. When we did our Romans book it was Lynn's memory and investigating that uncovered many leads and info for the book and other stuff of much interest. So Gerry; keep on Lynn when you need a lead.
I will look through my collection of pics and see if I can come up with anything.
One last question to the owner of this new piece of History - "How did you get onto it"? and Welcome aboard.
Ray
I'd rather have a Flathead
than Overhead Bowels !!!!
Early Iron

Post by Early Iron »

Well I'll be LOK WHAT I FOUND almost first pic I looked at. Don't remember where I got but there might be more.
Ray
I'd rather have a Flathead
than Overhead Bowels !!!!