Ford 4 connection Remote Solenoids .

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Ford 4 connection Remote Solenoids .

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Has anyone else experienced 4 wire splash apron mounted solenoids sticking ? The item was used extensively on Mustangs and Falcons Customlines etc. I have one on a US 60 Falcon . Scared the tripe out me when trying to start and it just kept up the cranking with the key released I Gave it a belt and it stopped . It has done this now off and on more than once . Disconnecting the "start" and ignition feed terminals to make sure of no stray feed tells me it is a mechanical issue .
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
Chrisso
Old Hand

Re: Ford 4 connection Remote Solenoids .

Post by Chrisso »

not those in particular Frank but in my experience dirty or burnt points if they are reacting to a knock. I am guessing you can pull it apart??
Mudgy
Old Hand

Post by Mudgy »

Frank just replace it with a decent one. Look for a marine one. big amps, silver contacts. They were usually dipped in a grey plastic coat, and were a bit longer than a std one.

Cheers, Mudgy
Good Judgement comes from experience....experience comes from bad judgement.
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Thanks Chrisso and Mudgy. The units are sealed . I had a recall last night that I ripped out my 66 Mustang unit when I converted the starter to a Clevo around 11 yrs ago after the original "clapper "starter died . Found it hoarded in my relay bin . :o :o :o :o . Now swapped into service and all is good . :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31