Throttle pedal and cable junk

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
monte
Old Hand

Throttle pedal and cable junk

Post by monte »

I used all lokar cables and pedal on the last rod however I thought I would save a few dollars and buy the cheaper version,silly mistake ,anyway the pedal looked nice all chromed ect until I tried to fit it ,first thing I noticed was the base plate was only tacked welded to the boss that the shaft went through and it was moving all over the place so I welded it up on the sides ,fixed I thought .Next was the spline on one side that you can change the position just stripped so I welded the pedal to the shaft ,fixed ,now the other side has a straight section on the round shaft and it works ok so after a bit of re engineering it finally works the way it is supposed to ,this rubbish should not be allowed to be sold as it is a safety issue Junk Status
Now the cable was about $30 cheaper than the Lokar one and would I buy one again NOOO ,very light construction but it works ok but it has to be set up so there is no drag on either end or it binds bad ,JUNK Status too
So what have I learned from this ,dont buy cheap junk cause it will fail without fixing it first ,Lokar is a good product for sure :D :D :D :D :D
Oldcol
Old Hand

Re: Throttle pedal and cable junk

Post by Oldcol »

....nothing beats the simple mechanical linkage,lasts the life of the car and you don't ever have to worry about breaking cables in the middle of nowhere.
-------------
Col....

"Works" comes before "looks good", cos "looks good" changes, and "works" works!
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

I had a good look at that Col as I agree its a better way but just had no room to do it ,I will buy another cable for a spare and keep it in the car with a few other parts I usually keep ,like a fuel pump, a spare dizzy, a belt and some tools to replace them :D :D :D :D
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Carry a spare . One thing with cables . I encountered in a Valiant once was that some strands had busted down at the pedal end and somehow prevented the cable from returning ,leaving me with almost full throttle :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: .
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
Grazza
Old Hand

Post by Grazza »

That's why all the car manufacturers now use cables monte. They're crap!!!! Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do, unfortunately. Was over your way the other day, buying paint and petrol. Was going to call in, but ran out of time. Next time.
Graeme
I will forever defend your right
to disagree with my opinion.

"Within 5mm is Close Enough"
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

We called in to a place the other day cause Ann wanted to buy some plants and the bloke had your seats there off the landy ,seems like a nice bloke had a chat for a while while Ann bought what she wanted
My ute dont have a cable its fly by wire ,bit to modern for us blokes mate :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: