what is a good dizzy for a cleveland

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
monte
Old Hand

what is a good dizzy for a cleveland

Post by monte »

I am looking at replacing my old points dizzy with a electronic one ,want one with the coil on top of it ,any ideas anybody :?: :?: :?:
Chrisso
Old Hand

Re: what is a good dizzy for a cleveland

Post by Chrisso »

That's what I did Monte and I purchased one off Ron Pate on this link to his Ebay store nice guy to deal with and reasonable prices, the only thing to consider was wether it was an early model or a later as they have different thickness shaft sizes that go into the engine block, other than that easy peasy. :lol: :lol: Rod looks and sounds awesome Monte, well done. 8) 8) 8) 8)

http://stores.ebay.com.au/ronald8404/Di ... 34.c0.m322
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

Thanks mate ,I have been to Rons store and bought some stuff off him ,I really wanted the coil on top of the dizzy so all you have is 1 or 2 wires to worry about ,is yours like that :?: :?:
46 deluxe
Old Hand

Post by 46 deluxe »

Best ones are the ford ones from v8 XD - XE's , but no coil in cap like you want .
scott
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

I agree Scott I fitted one of the newer ones in the 36 and the module shit itself so I fitted a ford module and had no more problem with it ,I thought I might ask as I thought they might have improved over time
enjenjo

Post by enjenjo »

I have a buddy with a shop here that uses this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIG-BLOCK-FORD- ... Qo&vxp=mtr

He has not had any problems with them.
People who think they know it all, bother those of us that do.
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Plenty of "budget" electronic HEI dizzies advertised . "Just Parts" magazine.
I got one of these about 7 years ago for my 289 Mustang Coupe . It shat itself in short time .[1 month] I took it apart and found it to resemble a spin off of the Bosch distributor . In fact mine had a crook pick up coil ,one of the connections was sus . I noted it's similarity to the coil inside the 1980's Holden HEI . It was a direct swap from a ratted Holden dizzy I had in the "spares" bin . I swapped a Bosch module into it for good measure also.
One other thing noticed was that the air gap between the star points on the reluctor and the surrounding field ring segments being part of the coil assembly was too fine ,it was quite a fiddle to position the coil/field precisely so as not to have them touching all around. I ended up filing the star points to increase clearance . My fear was that once the bushes wore ,there would be stuff all margin to avoid the reluctor and the field from hitting whilst spinning at speed . Since then it has been all good .
Falcons of the 80's used the same set up . Japanese vehicles of the same era using the same Bosch module used in my opinion a much better set up . The distributor had similar reluctor design set up fitted to the shaft but the pick up trigger coil was fitted similar to points in a points distributor , same distributor design Chrysler used with their "electronic " system in the 70's based around Bosch distributors.
Any one with a Chrysler using this system can convert their vehicle to HEI by ditching the "Black Box" and with the correct input polarity to a Bosch module and using a HEI coil gets a better system.[input polarity wrong throws the timing way out]
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
chopped35

Post by chopped35 »

not to mention the advance curve is all over the place on some of those dizzys as well.. clevo xd xe genuine bosch is the way to go or if you have a blue block cleveland use a xc bosch dizzy with an xd xe module. cheers.
Dave
Old Hand

Post by Dave »

46 deluxe wrote:Best ones are the ford ones from v8 XD - XE's , but no coil in cap like you want .
What Scott said! The best cheaper Clevo distributor is the factory Bosch Electronic. You will need to run a 12 volt electronic coil and make sure you have a full time 12 volts wired to it. There are plenty of aftermarket Bosch style for sale, just buy a decent brand one and carry a spare module or go and buy a genuine Bosch module which bolts straight in. My advice is to completely stay away from the coil in cap HEI (Chevrolet!!!) distributors. They are painfully big, have limited spark compared to external coils and are not designed for power at revs.

I had one in my coupe and the best thing I ever did was switch to Bosch style. In fact it was no better than the twin point I had years ago except I never had to worry about points. The twin point was actually probably more reliable!
Dave Petrusma
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Dave wrote:
46 deluxe wrote:Best ones are the ford ones from v8 XD - XE's , but no coil in cap like you want .
What Scott said! The best cheaper Clevo distributor is the factory Bosch Electronic. You will need to run a 12 volt electronic coil and make sure you have a full time 12 volts wired to it. There are plenty of aftermarket Bosch style for sale, just buy a decent brand one and carry a spare module or go and buy a genuine Bosch module which bolts straight in. My advice is to completely stay away from the coil in cap HEI (Chevrolet!!!) distributors. They are painfully big, have limited spark compared to external coils and are not designed for power at revs.

I had one in my coupe and the best thing I ever did was switch to Bosch style. In fact it was no better than the twin point I had years ago except I never had to worry about points. The twin point was actually probably more reliable!
The other point to consider when switching from points to HEI distributors , and probably not applicable in Monte's case as I would guess his rod is wired from scratch , is that vehicles started using resistive wire rather than an external ballast resistor for run mode . For the full 12v required to run HEI in such vehicles this wire needs replacing , or use it to switch a relay giving 12v to the HEI coil.
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

Thanks for all the info blokes ,I will see if I can indeed buy an original or at least get the module out of one like I did last time ,had no problem after that with it :D :D :D :D :D