How to cleaning hornet dirt from an engine block

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
KustomKulture62

How to cleaning hornet dirt from an engine block

Post by KustomKulture62 »

Recently picked up fully rebuild straight 6 cylinder engine that's had the head and sump removed for 5 years and the only protection was a sheet wrapped around it but this developed holes and the block was exposed to the elements and hornets.
My concern is the hornets have plugged every hole so I'm going to dismantle the entire engine and somehow clean the entire engine of the hornet dirt and built up dust.
The hornet dirt is the only real cleaning it needs, theres no rust or grease as the block was previously rebuild by an old school engine reconditioner business (even came with the original invoice and receipts) and the block has been painted black which is still in good condition.
The block has the engine mounts, head, sump, timing cover, distributor, fuel pump, oil breather and the oil filter removed. The crank and camshaft are still in place so there shouldn't be any hornet dirt in those oiling holes.

With the cleaning process I don't want to damage any of the machined surfaces so with this in mind what would be the best method to clean the entire block.
I've looked at the thermal cleaning process on Youtube which looks extreme considering my block is clean except for the hornet dirt and general dust buildup.
Is there anything I can do at home or would my best option be to take it somewhere for a not so harsh cleaning process.
toprodz
Old Hand

Re: How to cleaning hornet dirt from an engine block

Post by toprodz »

I would test a little part of it with water and see if that breaks it down at all, then if it does I would use a high pressure hot water/steam cleaners to blast the offending areas
Regards
Peter Gough
FOUNDING MEMBER #24 OZ-E-RODDERS ROD & KUSTOM CLUB
46 deluxe
Old Hand

Post by 46 deluxe »

Try a kero gun .
scott
cluxford

Post by cluxford »

You may want to consider ultrasonic cleaning http://fluiddynamics.com.au/industrial- ... -cleaning/
KustomKulture62

Post by KustomKulture62 »

Thanks guy, got the kero gun gave it a good soaking and then a good water blasting and then blew out all the holes.
Everything looks clean and luckily the hornets just blog up the entrance and not down deep.