Steering mods and possible so on

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
lance1960

Steering mods and possible so on

Post by lance1960 »

My First Post
Been sitting on the side like many reading some really good projects, cars and posts
I have a project well underway that some will say doesn't suit this forum.
I do have a couple of questions that possible some people may have some answers
My project has a solid steering Colum which would be about 900mm long . I would like to change to a collapsible
In the picture is some green tape this is were id like to shorten the Colum and possibly mount a sealed bearing then a coupling etc...
The questions are . Its a 1958 model car do l need this mod engineered for club plates ??
Is what I thinking or an I dreaming
Thanks everyone for there time
Cheers Mark
blown36

Re: Steering mods and possible so on

Post by blown36 »

G'day Mark. Welcome to the Forum.
Some more detail of your vehicle, which state you live in, and what other mods are intended for the vehicle will help with suggestions.
The NCOP does not require any safety upgrade including collapsible column unless there is a performance upgrade or engine swap from 6 cyl to non optioned V8 for example.
Get Blown or get Blown Away
lance1960

Post by lance1960 »

Thanks for your reply Blown 36
I live in Victoria and the car is an Austin A95 . I want it to look almost standard , just lowered with some wide steel rims.
But underneath a little different . Was thinking of a Volvo 164 front suspension and diff . Engine wise a Holden 186- 202 with a 5speed manual.
Even a Ford 250 or a Chrysler 245 .
I have the Volvo front suspension already ,it just about fits in . The Volvo 164 also has front mounted steering box and steering arms and drag links very similar in lengths'
Even the tapers on the tie rod ends fit. The track is 20mm wider each side but I think that can be overcome with wheel offsets
So that's my build , a little different
Even if it doesn't need a collapsible steering column l think id still want one .
Thank Mark
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Hi Mark. Be careful with the wheel offsets. [in this case back spacing] Make sure the wheels do not foul suspension components that will affect your lock to lock . Guard flaring is an option ?.
Are you using the existing steering box or the Volvo ? . I would imagine that the Volvo set up is already collapsible , they were well into safety stuff .
The original shaft can be cut anyway and the shaft on the box splined or can be milled to take a "D" uni joint fitting or a flat to take Torana style unis with the cotter pin .
The top half with the wheel is a solid shaft that will have to be replaced by a column with collapsible shaft and break away mount to the dash . If any of this helps feed your thoughts.
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
lance1960

Post by lance1960 »

Thanks All
Want to use the original Austin steering box ,still in good nick. The mods l wont will not need for the chassis to be modified only the mounting for the steering column ,hand brake, front seats and possible master cylinder
At the moment the car is upside down so still a little way from trial fitting the front end and seeing if l will have steering foul-age . (possible the sway bar mounts]
Any way just shopping around for thoughts ,
Will keep chipping away

Cheers
olfrt

Post by olfrt »

Buy the July issue of Australian street Rodding, #325, and read Ted Robinettes article on an Austin A70 Hereford.
It might give you a few clues.
To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.
lance1960

Post by lance1960 »

olfrt wrote:Buy the July issue of Australian street Rodding, #325, and read Ted Robinettes article on an Austin A70 Hereford.
It might give you a few clues.
Olfrt just mist out at the news agency by days on obtaining a copy. Then went online to buy a copy but they wanted too much personal info.

Have since tried the front end and all looks good . it is using the Austin drag link with Volvo control arms .in this set up the steering arm would have to be reversed tapered for the tie rod to sit on top off the steering arm [ as standard Austin]
Have taken out the springs to adjust the car to the standard Austin desired ride height and and have a good 50 mm clearance to bump stop .
I want a lower stance which l have then obtained by notching the x member 30 mm . In this position steering arm is in line as standard and now fits under the Volvo steering arm [ steering dose not need modifying. ]
With out the spring l have been able to move one off the axles up and down in all steering angles without visible bump steer .

Now will look for an engineer with my plans to see if it is viable !!!

Will post pictures once l find a new storage site if anyone is interested.
l no its a car that may not have a place here and l understand.

Cheers Mark
Larry@Graffiti

Post by Larry@Graffiti »

We will have that issue at the Vic Hot Rod Show in a couple of weeks if you are going.
Larry@Graffiti
Twin Spinner

Post by Twin Spinner »

You should have phoned them, I have bought several items from Graffiti without any problems.
If it has tits or wheels, you can expect trouble.
lance1960

Post by lance1960 »

FRANK BASILE wrote:Hi Mark. Be careful with the wheel offsets. [in this case back spacing] Make sure the wheels do not foul suspension components that will affect your lock to lock . Guard flaring is an option ?.
Are you using the existing steering box or the Volvo ? . I would imagine that the Volvo set up is already collapsible , they were well into safety stuff .
The original shaft can be cut anyway and the shaft on the box splined or can be milled to take a "D" uni joint fitting or a flat to take Torana style unis with the cotter pin .
The top half with the wheel is a solid shaft that will have to be replaced by a column with collapsible shaft and break away mount to the dash . If any of this helps feed your thoughts.
Will be using the Austin box and hopefully a Sigma steering column . Will have to find someone in Melbourne or...... to professionally do the chop
Did what olfrt suggested and obtained a copy of ASR #325 ref the Austin A70. It has encouraged me to post my car in construction .
Cheers Mark
olfrt

Post by olfrt »

Mazda 626 has a good steering column and wheel. Looks like an older type wheel, and has all the switches on it leaving the dash uncluttered. It is collapsible as well. I've used them in a Ford Pilot build once, and a couple of others over the years. Easy to make top and bottom mounts. I used to machine the lower shaft to suit Torana Uni Joints available from Rod Hadfield. Cotter pin type fitment.
To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.
YellowUte

Post by YellowUte »

Btt