36 Hudson LWB 4dr sedan
40 Hudson 2dr sedan
41 Hudson coupe
54 Hudson coupe
Chrisso
Old Hand

Re: 49 Hudson SRT8

Post by Chrisso »

Well done choco great news, good luck with you hospital visit I hope all goes well. :wink: :wink:
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

choco wrote:
Gojeep wrote:That is awesome news. :)
Good for me to know too as don't know if mine will start yet even though it turns over on the starter. It might even run for a few seconds and then shut itself down, I have read in the manual, if all is not well with the security system.
It depends on the year/model of the engine and factory PCM. I have documented my entire journey with this engine, so I now have a fair bit of knowledge. So what engine/trans are you using and what PCM? If you haven't had SKIM removed and there is no SKIM module, the engine will start and run for a few seconds and shut off. You can do this 3 times, then it won't crank at all. But we can probably fix that, and I can do it remotely via Teamviewer, all it will cost is 2 HP Tuners credits (@$US50 per credit).
I'm running a 2008 5.7 HEMI with the 5 speed 545RFE Automatic Transmission with the Quadra-Trac Full Time Active 4WD transfercase.
Running the full donor dash and ignition module, WIN Wireless Ignition Node etc, as well.
In theory it all should still work as before, but wont know until I put fuel into the tank and have my filler etc installed.
Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
rog
Old Hand

Post by rog »

choco wrote:The rest of the exhaust is booked in, should be done by Xmas. Heading to the upholsterers before my operation in 2 weeks. Paint should be done on the body by the end of next week.
All the best with the operation, will give you something to look forward too whilst recuperating. Looking forward to pictures when painted.
choco
Old Hand
Location: Jerrabomberra, NSW, where, on a crisp winter's morning you can hear the Chevs rusting.

Post by choco »

Check it out:
Choco Munday, Technical Author, Hot Rod Handbooks
Ph:0412 883 235
jeffa
Old Hand

Post by jeffa »

Sounds great! Coming along nicely as they say.
And sometimes, the only way to get the result you want IS to do it yourself. You learn heaps and you KNOW it's done right.
Also helps if something goes wrong down the track, no guesswork at the side of the road.

Good luck at the hospital.

Looking forward to more progress!
Yeah. I've changed my signature. The old one was out of date...
What if climate change IS a hoax, and we make a better world for nothing?
Sly Fox

Post by Sly Fox »

Congratulations on getting it running Choco, it sounds great 8)
51 Dodge Custom & 63 EH Ute - Dare to be different
SimonG

Post by SimonG »

You have done a great job getting it running and those headers are a work of art and it will be a shame to cover them with a bonnet
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

Well done mate. :)
How long had it been sitting since last started?
Mines going on 10 years now!
Marcus

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
Chrisso
Old Hand

Post by Chrisso »

Very nice choco i had no doubt you figure it out....sounds great!! 8) 8) 8) 8)
choco
Old Hand
Location: Jerrabomberra, NSW, where, on a crisp winter's morning you can hear the Chevs rusting.

Post by choco »

Gojeep wrote:Well done mate. :)
How long had it been sitting since last started?
Mines going on 10 years now!
I pulled the engine from a working, driving 300C SRT-8 in Werribee, Vic, in August 2017. I actually started it myself about a year ago. I had everything wired up, the PCM had just been returned to me from having the SKIM removed in the USA. I turned the key and it fired up. HUGE celebration! But it only ran for about 10 - 15 seconds. So I turned the key again, and it fired up again, albeit briefly. It did the same for a third time, then it wouldn't even crank over.

Over that year, I must have re-wired the CAN BUS at least 5 times, pulled everything out and put it back, swapped relays, studied a myriad books and forums around the world. In the meantime, I worked on the body and got it all prepped for final paint, did brakes, eStopp handbrake, and a heap of other things, all the time coming back to the engine and electronics to make it start. I had a seizure, a heart attack and a total knee replacement.

Then I read in the 300C forums on line that when you retro fit the PCM and don't delete the SKIM, the car will start three times then, lock itself into "I've been stolen" mode.

I enlisted the help of the local HP Tuners guy from Autotech in Hume, and he confirmed that the SKIM was still enabled. So I bought HP Tuners myself, and studied its intricacies. This new version could delete the SKIM in a two-step process, which was explained to me by a guy in Melbourne who was watching my posts in the HP Tuners forum. He rang me one night and told me what to do with the SKIM delete process, which I did.
I also found out from the same guy that the 06 - 09 Hemi PCM had a CAN BUS Start signal that activated the START relay if the trans was in Park or Neutral. This signal is generated in the CAN B bus in the Front Control Module, which I didn't have, and was impossible to replicate. So I deleted the START relay in HP Tuners, and damned if the car started up! I couldn't believe it! I pressed the accelerator and it went VROOOOMMMM!
All because of a couple of minor glitches that took me all that time to learn.
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Great work Choco. Must be a huge relief. I bet the surgery and recovery will now be more pleasant with that issue behind you. Happy New Year and all the best with the surgery.
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

Wow, what a time going through all that. So pleased to hear you got above it all in the end.
May this be the start of a great year for you mate as you deserve it!
Marcus

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
rattyrod

Post by rattyrod »

Great job and sounding great also , I’m dreading the wiring to come on the ls with all the other integrated stuff .
when are you going to finish it?
choco
Old Hand

Post by choco »

rattyrod wrote:Great job and sounding great also , I’m dreading the wiring to come on the ls with all the other integrated stuff .
It can be a bit daunting, but the LS packages on the market come with third party controllers and wiring, so all the hard work is already done for you. Unless, of course, you opt for a factory retro-fit, which might be cheaper, but is way more complicated. The Gen 3 Hemi stuff is the same, plenty of third party kits available, crate engines, 8 speed trans, the lot. It all depends on your bank account, and how much time you want to sink in the project. For me, being a retired Electronics Engineer and Tech Writer, I chose the less expensive option when all the components I needed were thrown in with the sale of the engine and trans. It's all a balancing act, but in the end you get a bullet-proof drive train that makes heaps of power and is more reliable than old style carbs, points and 2/3 speed trans engines.