49 Hudson SRT8

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
choco
Old Hand
Location: Jerrabomberra, NSW, where, on a crisp winter's morning you can hear the Chevs rusting.

49 Hudson SRT8

Post by choco »

After the Vicki's debut at the CRAKK run, then the Nats at Bendigo, it was time to start work on the 49 Hudson Coupe that's been waiting in the wings. Andrew (32 Coupe) has fitted the Series 3 Jag front and rear, so the first thing to do is to strip the car down and see what we have. We moved the car from the "waiting room" to the "surgery" where the scissor lift gets it to a height that we old fellas can handle.
P9020001_640.jpg
P9040013_640.jpg
P9040014_640.jpg
The front sheet metal, doors, boot, anything that is bolted down, steering column, brakes, all out, stored, cataloged. I kept all the old fastenrs. clips, etc and put them in little plastic bags and wrote what they were on the bags. Not to re-use them, but just to help me get new fasteners, clips and stuff when re-assembly happens.

One of the problems I have to address now is the rear wheels. It is very difficult to get a wheel on or off, and I need to do something about that now. I asked around, we did some measurements (thanks Reddo) and then another friend, Richard V, came around. The Hudson rear track is about 55" and the Jag is 63" but there's no brake hub in the way. A bit of negative offset and a decent set of 15" wheels will sit in the wheel wells nicely.
P9150002_640.jpg
Richard has a 52 Hudson parts car, and the rear quarters are the same (but shorter). He can make a set of fender skirts to facilitate the wheel removal, so now I need to remove the quarters and see where to make cuts to the inner panels (which are very thick steel panels).
20170823_112757_300.jpg
20170822_105940_640.jpg
Now that the car is completely gutted and those huge rear quarters are off, I can see clearly what has to be cut out so that the wheels go on and off easy.
20170823_112815_300.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Choco Munday, Technical Author, Hot Rod Handbooks
Ph:0412 883 235
choco
Old Hand
Location: Jerrabomberra, NSW, where, on a crisp winter's morning you can hear the Chevs rusting.

Re: 49 Hudson SRT8

Post by choco »

So while I was waiting, I cleaned up the dirt, pulled some more bits off and scoured the internet for the donor car. I was looking for a Chrysler 300c for under $10k. I decided long ago that this car would have a Gen 3 Hemi and 5 speed auto in it.
A very nice SRT8 came up on the Pickles auctions in Adelaide, and, guess what? We were going to Adelaide on the weekend the auctions were on! It was listed as a SRT8, 6.4L 2013 model with some rear quarter damage. Repairable write off. I have a friend in Adelaide who is a car broker, and he goes to the auctions regularly. I showed him the SRT8 and he said it should go for $6k - $8k. I was gob smacked! He said that the repairable write off industry in SA was dead, because the RTA had put so many conditions on re-registration that the car yards stopped doing it. For someone like me who only wanted the parts, it was all good news! So he was going to bid for me up to the value of $10k.
Well, the auction was postponed for a week, so we came back home and waited for the news.
So on the following Friday, I'm at the pub and my phone rings. Some kid at the auctions had bid the car up, and he got it for $12.5k.
Bummer!
So that weekend, I scour the sites again, and look in Gumtree. Some place in Victoria, a 300C is being wrecked. I check it out. Just one line in the add, no pictures. I send a message. I get a response that the 6.1L and 5 speed auto are available for $9k I ask for the computers, wiring and shifter, and he says I can have them all. I ask for pictures, VIN, engine numbers, and they are forthcoming. A quick phone call and the road trip is ON!

We arrive at Werribee, stay the night at the Werribee Motor Inn and are at the doorstep bright and early the next morning. It's a black 2007 SRT8, engine and trans hanging on an engine crane, box of computers, wiring and shifter on the floor. The engine only has 80k on the odometer!

Money changes hands, receipts, pictures of driver's licenses and such, and I drive away a very happy dude!
51_1503214014059_640.jpg
Now it sits, and we wait.....
20170820_134208_300.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Twin Spinner

Post by Twin Spinner »

Love those old Hudsons Choco, looking forward to this build. 8)
If it has tits or wheels, you can expect trouble.
rx4ord
Old Hand

Post by rx4ord »

Well done with the new motor. It must have been like a
holiday in the tropics for you Choco.
Well comparitively so compared to ACT anyway 8) :lol:
Look forward to many adventures with this build and your entertaining repartee .

Tassie Dave
Founding Member of OZ-E-Rodders
choco
Old Hand

Post by choco »

There are a few challenges I face with this build. Neither of us are working any more - we are officially retired. While some money has been squirreled away for the Hudson, I don't get paid $95 an hour any more and I can't just go out and buy stuff that I want. When I built the Vicki, money was no object, so we got to indulge a bit to make Vicki's dream come true.

Getting bits for the Vicki was piss easy. While not as prolific as tri-five Chevs/Danchuk, you can get pretty much any repro part for fifties Fords, but not so the Hudson. Fortunately, I have all the bits and pieces I need without splurging on eBay Motors.

The biggest obstacle will be the rear wheel arches. Once that's sorted, I'll get the wheels (steelies with zero offset or a small negative offset and full moon hubcaps) sit the car on the ground and install the engine/gearbox. Then it's off to the sandblasters. Then front and rear suspension rebuilds and general re-assembly. Paint will be done in my garage, final color will be black with flames, identical pattern to my old 36 Ford coupe. I have the PCM/TCM and wiring, a wiring kit and fuse panel that I won at the CRAKK run a few years ago (although I'll probably weaken and get a Painless Wiring kit because I'm THAT kind of guy) and I'm not rebuilding any of the drivetrain.
Chris5.7ltr

Post by Chris5.7ltr »

Cool as Choco, will be watching with great interest!
1934 Reo pick up build thread
32 Chassis waiting for it's turn
64' Chev BelAir (true daily)
scooterscum

Post by scooterscum »

Cool project!
I've got a 49 Hudson coupe that's had the roof chopped off and made into a convertible.
I'd be interested in buying any leftover original parts if available.
Cheers Simon
SimonG

Post by SimonG »

I love how the rear quarters just unbolt, makes it very easy to clean everything up and protect everything from future rust. Will be looking forward to seeing how you make it all fit
Chrisso
Old Hand

Post by Chrisso »

Great looking build Choco, I will be looking with interest and anticipation. 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D :D
hammered30

Post by hammered30 »

Nice car .nice heart transplant as well :D
cheers Paul
63 galaxie 260 boss
choco
Old Hand

Post by choco »

scooterscum wrote:Cool project!
I've got a 49 Hudson coupe that's had the roof chopped off and made into a convertible.
I'd be interested in buying any leftover original parts if available.
Cheers Simon
I have a collection of LHD parts that will go to scrap if no-one wants them. The steering assembly (box and shaft, the centre pitman arm and steering arms are gone) the brake and clutch pedals (unmolested) master cylinder and all the connecting rods. I have the original gauges/speedo that I probably won't use.
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

How cool is that rear qtr being a total bolt on? . With such assembly in that area with it's age, she looks pretty rust free . Congrats and welcome to the "retiree family " Choco . We are three years in now and my only regret was not retiring sooner :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D . Enjoy .
"
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
hudson nut

Post by hudson nut »

Choco, there is a company here in the states who reproduce all the rubber parts for around the windows, doors, trunk, etc. They are Wildrick Rubber Parts. I just sold a pair of those rear quarters... They are going to England in a couple of weeks.

Dany
25 Hudson speedster project
29 Hudson coupe
36 Hudson 4dr sedan
36 Hudson LWB 4dr sedan
40 Hudson 2dr sedan
41 Hudson coupe
54 Hudson coupe
choco
Old Hand

Post by choco »

hudson nut wrote:Choco, there is a company here in the states who reproduce all the rubber parts for around the windows, doors, trunk, etc. They are Wildrick Rubber Parts. I just sold a pair of those rear quarters... They are going to England in a couple of weeks.

Dany
Thanks for that. Hudson repro stuff is rare!
enjenjo

Post by enjenjo »

I have Laser cut semi finished caliper brackets for Hudson spindles that use a GM caliper, and Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute rotor with the stock hub, if that is of any use to you. I can also finish a set for you if desired.
People who think they know it all, bother those of us that do.