49 Hudson SRT8

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
choco
Old Hand
Location: Jerrabomberra, NSW, where, on a crisp winter's morning you can hear the Chevs rusting.

Re: 49 Hudson SRT8

Post by choco »

zuffen wrote:Is the reinforcement one or two pieces.

If two how will you make up the lost strength in the middle to stop it flexing?
It's a single piece. There are two braces which bolt to the horizontal brace, and go down to the chassis at about a 45 degree angle (but I just called them vertical braces for simplicity). Originally, they were mounted to the chassis with semi-flexible thick canvas/rubber mounts, probably to absorb vibration. I have mounted them to the chassis with a neoprene gasket and welded the mount to the chassis. I'll take a pic of it if you are interested. The strengthened brace is necessary on the driver's side to stop flexing of the firewall when the brakes are applied, and when the foot operated Lokar emergency brake (as our American friends refer to a 'handbrake) is applied. The factory step-down Hudsons all had the brakes under the floor. There's also a brace inside the cabin, under the dash, which supports the steering column, and is in the same plane as the external brace that bolts to the chassis. I moved this brace from the left hand side to the right, and made it about 30mm longer to bolt up to its original mount (which I also moved from left to right).
To simplify - I replicated all the factory bracing and made it stronger and stiffer to account for moving all the brakes to the firewall.
Choco Munday, Technical Author, Hot Rod Handbooks
Ph:0412 883 235
choco
Old Hand
Location: Jerrabomberra, NSW, where, on a crisp winter's morning you can hear the Chevs rusting.

Post by choco »

Just for clarification, here is the horizontal and vertical braces installed:
20180211_092222.jpg
Inside the cab, there is another brace that goes from the firewall to the bottom of the dash where the steering column is mounted:
20180211_092411.jpg
More later.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

Choc's,

Thanks for the clarification.

The brace in the first photo looks to have a joint line running vertically just to the right (on the screen, the left in actuality) of the arrow.

This is what prompted my question. it looks like you have well under control.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
toprodz
Old Hand

Post by toprodz »

Hey Chocco it looks like you are powering ahead with the Hudson, I am looking forward to the rest of the build, :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8)
The brace that goes down to the chassis is similar to what was on the twin spinner, It also attached to the inner fender skirt, which added a little more stiffness. :D :lol:
Keep up the great work..
Regards
Peter Gough
FOUNDING MEMBER #24 OZ-E-RODDERS ROD & KUSTOM CLUB
choco
Old Hand

Post by choco »

toprodz wrote:Hey Chocco it looks like you are powering ahead with the Hudson, I am looking forward to the rest of the build, :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8)
The brace that goes down to the chassis is similar to what was on the twin spinner, It also attached to the inner fender skirt, which added a little more stiffness. :D :lol:
Keep up the great work..
That's right, same for the Hudson. The inner skirts will have to be chopped up (a lot) to make way for the headers. The Hemi engine is a lot wider than the old flathead 6, and I don't see any other way around it than run custom headers outside the chassis. Of course, I'll consult with the fabricating guy first.
hudson nut

Post by hudson nut »

Choco, has there been any more progress on your Hudson? I'm watching this one closely, as I'm building a 54 Hornet coupe myself.

Dany
25 Hudson speedster project
29 Hudson coupe
36 Hudson 4dr sedan
36 Hudson LWB 4dr sedan
40 Hudson 2dr sedan
41 Hudson coupe
54 Hudson coupe
choco
Old Hand

Post by choco »

Just took delivery of the new stainless headers.
20180511_163558.jpg
20180511_163614.jpg
Also sorting out the wiring. I'm using the factory harness, so I have to extract the engine control circuits from the main harness (top) and put them in the engine harness (bottom).
20180512_101941.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
choco
Old Hand

Post by choco »

hudson nut wrote:Choco, has there been any more progress on your Hudson? I'm watching this one closely, as I'm building a 54 Hornet coupe myself.

Dany
Good stuff! Are you on the G3 Hemi Swap Facebook site?
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

Nice looking long tube headers you have there. Were they made for a particular conversion or a stock configuration that you could use?
Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
Chrisso
Old Hand

Post by Chrisso »

Great looking headers there choco, some nice progress. How are you enjoying retirement?
choco
Old Hand

Post by choco »

Gojeep wrote:Nice looking long tube headers you have there. Were they made for a particular conversion or a stock configuration that you could use?
There are heaps of headers made for Gen 3 Hemi conversions into any other Mopar A, B, Body or anything, really. But for 49 Hudsons, no. I could have bought some shorty headers, for half the price, in mild steel, but would not know if they fitted until I got them. So I had them made, and the same guy will complete the exhaust system when the time comes. He's also making a set of zoomies like the ones on my Plymouth Coupe.
choco
Old Hand

Post by choco »

Chrisso wrote:Great looking headers there choco, some nice progress. How are you enjoying retirement?
Retirement is great, lots better than I expected. I just miss the $90/Hr that I used to make that allowed me to buy whatever I wanted when I built the Vicki. I did squirrel away a bit of money before I stopped work, and bought most of the big ticket items, but now I have to wait until "pension day" to see what I can afford. I just saved up enough for a tailshaft, and bought it on eBay about 10 minutes ago. Now I can't go to the pub on Friday! :evil:

Apart from that, it's all good!
rx4ord
Old Hand

Post by rx4ord »

Bloody pub"ll go broke now.
Crikey Choco :shock: :lol:

Tassie Dave
Founding Member of OZ-E-Rodders
Angry

Post by Angry »

Bloody awsome build Chocco,....

definatley nice stuff ,....

Im subscribed
Al.

64 Ford F100 SWB Patina Pickup
69 Camaro Z28 Clone....
choco
Old Hand

Post by choco »

Tailshaft.
After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I've dummied up the tailshaft to see how/if my cunning plan will work. I have used a Mercedes/300C tailshaft and centre bearing, utilising the factory Hudson centre bearing frame to mount the Chrysler bearing housing. Here's how it looks from the top:
20180701_120924.jpg
From underneath, you can see where I've placed a small x-member (the blue square tube) across the factory frame, which will mount the Chrysler/Mercedes centre bearing housing. It's just two bolts, pretty simple, and I'll raise/lower it inside the Hudson frame to get the fore and aft angle correct. It sits pretty much in the right place as it stands, though.
20180701_120936.jpg
This is where it finishes. I'll lob off the Chrysler/Mercedes four lobe end and slip a piece of jag/Ford tailshaft with the correct uni at the diff end. This is the only piece I'll have to get machined and balanced properly.
20180701_121019.jpg