Jag V-12 Engine

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
mgyxjc

Re: Jag V-12 Engine

Post by mgyxjc »

Thanks angliadon.. that's a new'un for a youngster like me LOL.. I went to the drive-in, parked up backwards, in the first HQ van to be delivered to the hometown.. and that was the end of the van scene for me.. There is a bit of a story on the link here, re John Strachan and his vans , with a few pics of the Alley Cat with it's quad carbs.. that would make it a very early Series 1 XJ motor, or similarly early, e. I'd love to see some better quality pics of the donk but friend Google doesn't seem to have any. https://www.streetmachine.com.au/featur ... -with-cars
'36, or is it ?, Ford pickup ( one day..) an' a 'A' hangin' in the rafters ( or was.. the rope broke )
David Rayner

Post by David Rayner »

Did some searching online for pics of Jag engines. Check https://www.google.com.au/search?tbm=is ... 9999045641 Can't see the whole car (although the cowl looks like Model T to me) but if the engine I've been given is usable, is there anything left to discuss?
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

I'm pretty sure the definition of a Hotrod doesn't specif what sort of engine it used.

Engines ranged from 4 to 8 cylinders as that was what was avaialble.

I'm pretty sure there would have been a few V12 fitted back in the day when they could be found.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
David Rayner

Post by David Rayner »

Brought Jag home the other day. The body is absolutely shot so no hope of driving it. Besides the drive train, plenty of stuff I can use and plenty I can sell if there is a market for it. Have also had Ian Cameron make me a cowl and dash. On its way in a truck right now.
Greg N Smith

Post by Greg N Smith »

Another photo of the same car -

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-v12-ja ... 13903.html
David Rayner wrote:Did some searching online for pics of Jag engines. Check https://www.google.com.au/search?tbm=is ... 9999045641 Can't see the whole car (although the cowl looks like Model T to me) but if the engine I've been given is usable, is there anything left to discuss?
David Rayner

Post by David Rayner »

That car is in a motor museum in Somerset, England and my wife and I are planning a trip to the UK for middle of next year. There are other things in the south west I'd like to see so a visit to Somerset is on the cards. Can't wait to see that Model T in the flesh. As for my motor, I haven't even looked at it yet bust as long as the block and heads aren't rotted away on the inside from water, as someone suggest is a possibility, I have every intention of using it. In fact, I've forgotten all thoughts of using a Clevo. The cowl and dashboard from Ian Cameron arrived the other day.
mabrown

Post by mabrown »

As a Jag nut I'm looking forward to seeing this progress. It will be nice to see a Jag engine being used in a rod instead of being discarded.

The V12 was originally built to go racing, specifically to take it up to the GT40 and Ferrari 330P4 at Lemans. The much maligned XK six (the one which is binned in favour of V8's in XJ's) had been good enough to win Lemans 5 times in the 50's and Jaguar were looking to regain their former glory. The prototype V12 race engine was a chain driven quad cam and made around 500 horsepower in early form. It was fitted to XJ13, in my opinion one of the best looking race cars of all time. Sadly, rules changes and the absorption of Jaguar into BMC ended the return to Lemans.

There is a pile of info about the car, the engine and an amazing replica at https://buildingthelegend.co.uk

Good luck with the project. I'm greatly looking forward to seeing the build.
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

The Engineer I use built a very accurate XJ13 replica in about 1992 and I was fortunate to have a ride in it when it was unpainted and bare aluminium.

He eventually fitted twin cam heads and sold it for a small fortune.

Interestingly Norman Dewis drove this vehicle. Norman was at the helm of the original XJ13 when it seized a wheel bearing and crashed.

here's a link to the story behind it.

http://www.drivingandlife.com/2015/06/n ... ation.html
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
mabrown

Post by mabrown »

Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen that one or the quad cam conversion. They look to be AJ6 or AJ16 heads. I wonder how much work was involved in fitting them. 740HP! He's a talented bloke your engineer.

Most of the replicas out there look like the car as it is now in its post accident form. When XJ13 was rebuilt they decided (for maintenance reasons?) to modify the wheel flares. It makes the car look more contemporary but it can be argued that Neville Swales' car is closer to its racing roots than the real thing is now.

Back to the engine itself, there is a very good write-up here. It goes into great detail about differences between the engines, maintenance issues etc; well worth a read.
David Rayner

Post by David Rayner »

So, I'm going with a genuine (so I can get full or classic rego in NSW) Model A (because they're flat) chassis, which I bought just the other day. Aside from that, all I have at this point is the motor, trans, rear end, and radiator shell and since it all has to go somewhere while I finish off a bike I'm working on, I did a basic mock-up just to see how it all fits together.

GigglingMonkey

Post by GigglingMonkey »

that's gotta be a pommy motor with all those buckets and mountain of saw-dust underneath it :lol:

mick in glen innes
WORK the curse of the Rodding classes
1956 Mainline
mgyxjc

Post by mgyxjc »

Great engine David.. I've a couple spares on engine stands and an A model chassis hanging from the roof.. you give me bad ideas.. as to Ideas.. what you need is a set of these.. this is just a generic pic.. but I did purchase a set a few years back... just "in case". In operation, they need a plenum across the top if just running a single carb or with duals, a balance tube between the two castings
'36, or is it ?, Ford pickup ( one day..) an' a 'A' hangin' in the rafters ( or was.. the rope broke )
David Rayner

Post by David Rayner »

Where do I get a set of those?
mgyxjc

Post by mgyxjc »

"Where do I get a set of those?", perhaps not now David.. an older guy in the U.S. was making them as part of a Marine conversion a few years ago now and being a bit of a Jag V12 tragic, I purchased a set, just the inlets, I didn't buy the cast water cooled exhausts he made as they were, from memory, near USD$ 6K the pair.
In reality, with hood clearances, the use of the dual 4bbl inlets in actual Jag is limited.. they need an open car or something from the 40's / 50's with a deep engine bay.
They were a bit of an indulgence and typical of a limited casting run, not exactly cheap though I do wonder sometimes, if I should consider an offer & put the dough into my '35 or my Jags
Again. this is not my pic but one I had from the guy who cast them.. gives an idea of what they look like, how they clear the dizzy.. be neat with polished cam covers and the angles on the runners smoothed a tad
David Rayner

Post by David Rayner »

mgyxjc, Oh. I wonder if they could be fabricated. You see all kinds of fabricated manifolds on V-8s these days.

Giggling Monkey, Yes it's a Pommie engine but 99% of that oil came out of the American trans. I'll let the sawdust do its work and clean it up tomorrow.