engine rebuilds?

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
steve the ford guy

engine rebuilds?

Post by steve the ford guy »

Hi all, something I noticed that seems to be neglected on here is how to rebuild and modify the engine. Nearly everyone in the "Construction" section has started with a crate engine in place or a wreckers low mileage EFI motor. Im finding it's kinda hard navigating through the available parts from the many choices available on VPW or Summit websites for my 302w's build, so if anyone is building one of these please post it all up for us. Especially how the selecting of parts works, thanks. :D
Jeff Hitchins

Re: engine rebuilds?

Post by Jeff Hitchins »

Funny you should say that...... I recently went to my local parts store (they used to be a really good store with lots of stuff you couldn't get in the big chain auto stores) and I was chasing head stud sealer.

Guy in the store asked what I was going to do with it, building up a flathead was my reply.

To which he said we used to keep sealer in the store but no one builds their own engines anymore so we don't keep it :roll:

I ended up buying via ebay.

Sad thing is these retailers are probably the same ones who complain about online shopping :shock:
steve the ford guy

Thanks for the reply Jeff, I went online looking for an oil pickup, Summit had a number of pages with results for the Ford Windsor, finally settled on a 7- 1/2 inch depth pickup, still trying to find a suitable set of rocker arms, but there's just so many that are listed it's hard to know what's best, of course there's not a lot of info either, its turning out to be a very frustrating build.
fredeuce

Post by fredeuce »

Steve,
I have used this forum for Ford Windsor Q&A and thought the responses were reasonable so you might want to give it a go.

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/forumindex.php
fredeuce
mercury mitch

Post by mercury mitch »

Im with you Steve , I have no idea ether . Been looking at 347 Scat Stroker kit , just over 2k , but keep asking myself , how much power do I need.
Life is a learning curve, endevour to learn something new every day jees I hope I never get alz alz alz alz
chop_shop

Post by chop_shop »

G'day, you need to start by deciding what the purpose of the engine will be: daily driver, hot street car, drag car, race car, or stock to factory specs rebuild.
also matters if its going to be auto or manual as your chosen cam for example should work with the torque convertor stall speed etc if its auto. Most intake manifolds have a power rpm range also that can be factored in.
There are some personal choices like solid or hydraulic lifers, again a decision here will dictate other part choices.
Once you have that you can then accumulate the necessary parts, based on your budget.

last one I put back together (wont call it rebuild) was a cobbled together mismatch of parts brought off ebay purely based on price/availability, that ended up running real great despite the advice I was given ...
second hand 70's 302w block, crank and pistons cost me $50
was 30 thou up, did an at home hone job, installed new rings, bearings etc
erson TQ30h cam (was old stock), hydraulic lifters,
edelbrock torker intake manifold
old cast heads (previous owner put chev valve and screw in studs)
standard style push rods and rockers
Felpro gasket set
ARP bolt kit
600 vac sec holley

I followed the "how to rebuild Windsor" book for procedure, the engine was built on the carpet in the garage (had no stand at the time :) )

there is also another book (name escapes me right now) on rebuilding ford v8's that has some good reference to parts buying list to make certain power outputs, etc
“Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein
steve the ford guy

My engine is a 302 with stock heads from a seventies Ford, its most likely from a Mustang? as it's a Mexican block @ 40 thou, and appears not to have been assembled fully since reboring, except for someone's attempt at installing the crank and fitting a rod and cap back to front, (possibly by fitting them in the opposing cylinder).
I'm also in the process of finishing off a custom intake for it, it's a multi carb deal, only four carbs will work, the rest are dummies, and they will all open at the same time, each carb has a 40mm venturi. They are Carters and were sourced off early Hudson Jets, cam is a mild hydraulic Isky 270-HL. I want to ditch the rail rockers these engines came with and run roller tipped rockers from either Summit or VPW. May have to run screw in studs as well. I want to fit stock COBRA open letter valve covers so any rockers I choose have to clear them, planning on a COBRA cast alloy sump and windage tray, still have to get the special bolts to fit the tray. Also would like to run an early Motocraft points dissy and convert it to electronic if there's a suitable kit out there, transmission is a toploader. Want it to look like an early 260-289, will try and put some pictures up next week.
Last edited by steve the ford guy on Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chop_shop

Post by chop_shop »

I see vpw are having a offer 20% off via ebay store at the moment
turns
Old Hand

Post by turns »

I am setting up a 302 Windsor at the moment Steve the Ford Guy (not a rebuild just a go - over)

I have never rebuilt a Windsor before but have built a bunch of engines years ago that all still run that I know of. I assumed that the internet would make it easier to rebuild an engine but I think prior to the internet, you had to actually go and see people and discuss stuff i.e. machinists, parts suppliers etc.

Mates have asked what has helped me build motors most. In my opinion you need to really immerse yourself in that engine and know all of it's intricacies - this takes lots of research, study, reading and talking to the right people. Secondly, I really rate highly the ability to measure stuff and then you have all the usual disciplines of cleanliness, keen observation, preparation, labelling etc. When you modify an engine, it all gets more difficult (I can only recall one stock motor in my past and it was a 2 stroke bike donk :mrgreen: )

Building a reliable and worthy engine is a difficult task and then you have all the peripheral systems that still need sorting i.e. ignition, charging, cooling, fuel, exhaust, gearbox/transmission.

I am keen to see your multi carb manifold build as it sounds interesting. I have considered having a go at one before but decided against it so far.

Good luck and let us know how you go. Firing up a self built engine for the first time is a great feeling.

Cheers Turns
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly"...............Morticia Addams
jailbar joe
Old Hand

Post by jailbar joe »

i'm sure edelbrock? make a 3 carb manifold for a windsor and is over the counter :wink:
cheers joe

if you do nothing then nothing happens
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

[Good luck and let us know how you go. Firing up a self built engine for the first time is a great feeling.

Cheers Turns[/quote]

Although I had rebuilt 2 Y Blocks and a Falcon 6 before hand, I still have the empty "Aerostart" can for the first SBC I built back in 73 . It would not start . :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: . I re checked the ignition timing /firing order ,all valves[solid lifters] were operating . Used a whole small spray can . I was at wits end . The engine needed two 12v batteries in the end to spin it quick to fire up . Once run and shut down it was fine . :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D.
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
turns
Old Hand

Post by turns »

jailbar joe wrote:i'm sure edelbrock? make a 3 carb manifold for a windsor and is over the counter :wink:
Yep - they do (won't fit the 351 though)
FRANK BASILE wrote:[Good luck and let us know how you go. Firing up a self built engine for the first time is a great feeling.

Cheers Turns
Although I had rebuilt 2 Y Blocks and a Falcon 6 before hand, I still have the empty "Aerostart" can for the first SBC I built back in 73 . It would not start . :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: . I re checked the ignition timing /firing order ,all valves[solid lifters] were operating . Used a whole small spray can . I was at wits end . The engine needed two 12v batteries in the end to spin it quick to fire up . Once run and shut down it was fine . :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D.[/quote]

That's all part of the fun I guess lol. When I was 16 yrs old, I built a souped up engine for my '66 Mini Van. After about 2 weeks on the road it developed a small oil leak where the block bolts down to the gearbox/diff assembly............I was devastated :roll:

Pulled the motor, fixed it and moved on to driving it. The motor lived on and ran hard but that leak obviously still bugs me :mrgreen:

Cheers Turns
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly"...............Morticia Addams
choco
Old Hand
Location: Jerrabomberra, NSW, where, on a crisp winter's morning you can hear the Chevs rusting.

Post by choco »

I've built a couple of Windsors over the years, but blown more of them up than I've had built. I've learned a few lessons, though.

RULE 1: The weak spot in 302 Windsors is the rod bearings. Always replace them with ARP 3/8 rods and rod bolts, and limit revs to 6,000 r/min.

The best thing you can do to make these things breathe properly is Eddelbrock Performer heads. Instead of paying someone a small fortune to recondition stock heads, just get the Eddy aluminium heads. Not only do you get the big valves, screw in studs etc but you get an extra degree or two of timing. You also then have a better range of roller rockers to use. I had a good set of Yella Terra ones that wouldn't fit my Holley heads, but I sold them about a year ago.

Stroker kits are relatively cheap, the 350 kits being the most common. This will light up your 302 like nothing else. Just remember Rule 1.

I would encourage you to do a EFI conversion and a EDIS Ignition, but at the very least, use a MSD billet Dissy and 6AL box to light up your spark plugs. You'll be so glad you did.

The Australian retailers just don't cut it for price and quality. I do try to use Aussie businesses, but most of the time, Summit/Jegs/Speedway is better. Always try the same part numbers at Amazon. The difference in postage is incredible, in cost and deliver times. I ALWAYS use Amazon if possible.

Finally, I only ever built one engine, and it was for the first iteration of my old chopped/channeled 36 Ford Coupe. It blew up the day I got rego. I took my next two engines to pro builders. The 5l (302) for the Vicki went to another pro builder who turned out not to be as pro as I thought. I have a rather large thread under Vicki's Vicki that explains this.
Choco Munday, Technical Author, Hot Rod Handbooks
Ph:0412 883 235
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

On one Y Block I totally stuffed up the rear main seal install [rope type] . This without a cover plate under the manual flywheel would see the vehicle idling leave a horizontal oil line on the ground as the spinning flywheel slung oil :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: . The only other mishap was day 2 after hitting the road driving my rebuilt SBC 283 in the 34 Ford home from work . Idle and initial take off from the lights developed a miss with white vapour dumped out of one of the twin exhaust pipes . I had rebuilt using metal plate head gaskets . Pulled the heads and replaced with composition gaskets and no more trouble :D :D :D :D :D :D
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
steve the ford guy

I took some pictures for you guys of my 302w this week, will try and put up a pic of the distributor maybe tomorrow, its an original points dissy from Autolite and has been polished. Hoping to convert it to electronic. :D