Newbee's 52 Mainline Ute

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
Newbee

Re: Newbee's 52 Mainline Ute

Post by Newbee »

Sorry to hear that Joe, too much dancing ? I suppose your driving is restricted as well, that would be a bummer. :(

Hope it comes good soon mate. Keeping an eye out for an old van myself, your project is very educational.

Regards Ian
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

Newbee wrote:Shed time is improving, at least it getting warmer even if it isn't raining, I need to get thing going again at a better than snails pace.

Any how the Mazda/Ford Ute Steering shaft with Falcon uni on LHS and new Sweet Mfg uni on RHS.

Marcus the extended length is 300 mm over all including splines, the closed length is 230 mm inc.

Open

Closed

Regards Newbee
Many thanks for that info. :)
Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

The Courier/Bravo connector is very handy and forgiving with regard to fiddling shaft lengths.
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
Newbee

Post by Newbee »

Thanks to you for the good info Frank, that's why this site is so great. :D :D

Regards Newbee
Angry

Post by Angry »

Newbee wrote:Your up late tonight Joe :D :D :D

The sump kit is "Ford Performance" and it came from Speedway in USA, comes with the correct bolt,
so everything you need swap from a front to a rear sump. Worked out a bit cheaper freight than Summit Racing.

Interestingly I just slipped the pickup on the block for the picture and that is the standard maincap bolt and
was in the correct position to take the new pickup, so I assume that the standard Aussie front sump pickup uses this bolt and curves around.

How's the York coming along ?

Regards Newbee
I used an AU XR8 Windsor in my F100,..I just happened to have a second older injected 302 Windsor out of an later 76 F100 Ambulance...the sum n pickup simply unbolted n swapped over...just had to knock the plug out of the panrail on the AU block for the F100 dipstick...
I even used the same plug n put it back in the F100 motor,..

When I was in Arizona getting the 61 Unibody I decided to buy a new pan and it was a Fox Body pan...it came with the pickup n stud,..

The parts guy was the Ford Guru n he told me it was THE BEST rear sump for just about any swap,...n way better then a Bronco sump everyone talks about....
Al.

64 Ford F100 SWB Patina Pickup
69 Camaro Z28 Clone....
jailbar joe
Old Hand

Post by jailbar joe »

Newbee wrote:orry to hear that Joe, too much dancing ? I suppose your driving is restricted as well, that would be a bummer.

Hope it comes good soon mate. Keeping an eye out for an old van myself, your project is very educational.
hi ian sorry for no reply ...i have been up to kalgoorlie for the red dust revival at lake perkolille....
had heaps of fun....well...as much as you can on crutches :lol: will put up some pics later and will also update where i am up to with the van :D
Angry wrote: I used an AU XR8 Windsor in my F100,..I just happened to have a second older injected 302 Windsor out of an later 76 F100 Ambulance...the sum n pickup simply unbolted n swapped over...just had to knock the plug out of the panrail on the AU block for the F100 dipstick...
I even used the same plug n put it back in the F100 motor,..

When I was in Arizona getting the 61 Unibody I decided to buy a new pan and it was a Fox Body pan...it came with the pickup n stud,..

The parts guy was the Ford Guru n he told me it was THE BEST rear sump for just about any swap,...n way better then a Bronco sump everyone talks about....
thanks al good info...and i will be looking into it soon. :D
cheers joe

if you do nothing then nothing happens
Newbee

Post by Newbee »

Well things are moving slowly, thought its time to do a bit of a small update, been going steadily for a couple of weeks after cataract surgery.

Hope to get into engine/trans mounts this weekend with a little help from the son to get it all lined up and fabricated.

Thanks to 53Vicky I now have these mounts that he made for the Windsor 5 L but then changed direction into a Coyote.

Thanks Ted, hand delivered (almost) as well. :D :D :D

Will just need to position it all then fab some brackets to attach to the Jag engine mounting points.

Also did a few other smaller bits as I wait for the lad's help.
Cut out 2mm plates for seat mounts from my rusty template.

LHS

After bending in my folder, 2mm is definitely its limit. :oops: :oops:

Welded in some gussets to make it stronger.

Regards Newbee
Sly Fox

Post by Sly Fox »

Nice work Newbee, great to see your making progress
51 Dodge Custom & 63 EH Ute - Dare to be different
Angry

Post by Angry »

Good to hear your getting back into it..

Like the engine mounts ,...are they AU rubber donuts ???...All you need is a little tower to catch the centre thru bolt n land on the Jag mount pad...
I dont something similar,....but use 78 F100 Mounts ,...think Id rather use AU if I done it again.. Im sure finding AU mounts would be easier...

Like the seat mounts,....Im thinking something similar,..wanna move my seat forward an inch n half n lift the front edge of the seat about an inch.
Al.

64 Ford F100 SWB Patina Pickup
69 Camaro Z28 Clone....
Chrisso
Old Hand

Post by Chrisso »

Nice work Newbee looks like progress is going along ok. I hope the old eyeballs aren't too sore and are healing well. :wink: :wink: 8) 8) 8) 8) :D :D
jailbar joe
Old Hand

Post by jailbar joe »

well done ian any progress is always good :D
take care of the peepers mate we only get one set....i had my cats done about 3 years ago and still having problems :? :evil:
hope they come good soon :D
cheers joe

Newbee

Post by Newbee »

Couple of small updates, no engine and trans mounts yet because I forgot the helper I had thought I'd organised went on the Footy Trip with the rest of the boys to the Cox Plate.
Hell when I was playing if we went to the scrub 20 Ks up the road with a couple of kegs you thought you were made, young ones what a life. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Anyway been collecting a few things from the wrecker, I remembered someone said a Ford XH Ute or there abouts would be a relatively easy swap for the old fuel tank,
complete with electric fuel pump, knowing the donor has plastic one which I wouldn't be able to use, so got one in reasonable condition and a KBS fuel tank kit to go into it.

While I was there I had a look around the back in the "bone yard" and a few XB were in his stock, so after opening a few that still had bonnets on them I found this Booster
and Master Cylinder. M/C is U/S but only just, so could have a kit put in it for a spare in case the new one dies (new one is still branded PBR and from Bosch but of course made over you know where).

Sent the Booster to Adelaide to Power Brakes for reconditioning, talked to the guy as he was inspecting the M/C, he tells me the have all their components and kits made to their own OEM specs.
Reassuring to know you are dealing with good operators, happy to pay the price.

Old Tank out, thought it looked OK until I got it into the light.

New tank is a bit deeper than the original so I'll have to trim the mounting bars up a bit, that can wait until the body is off though.
I'll clean it up and put the KBS kit through it then store it, at least that will get the rotten old fuel smell out of my shed. :(

Found this pedal rubber laying on the floor of an LTD at the wreckers, cleaned up OK.

Cut up some 5 mm plate for the engine mounts, will end up with a triangle shape with a few gussets, these VE hydraulic mounts should do the trick.

Regards Newbee
jailbar joe
Old Hand

Post by jailbar joe »

smart work there ian....i will be using an xh tank when i convert my j/b from gas :D
cheers joe

Chrisso
Old Hand

Post by Chrisso »

Great work Ian really kicking goals now mate, lucky to have wrecker that still stocks "older" parts none around here mostly 3-5 years old stuff.
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

Great to see you are getting things nutted out. :)
Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)