Newbee's 52 Mainline Ute

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
Sly Fox

Re: Newbee's 52 Mainline Ute

Post by Sly Fox »

Unfortunately not working for me Newbee.
Looking forward to seeing what you have to share mate.
51 Dodge Custom & 63 EH Ute - Dare to be different
Jacksbits

Post by Jacksbits »

Sorry mate I can't see it either.
Jack
Newbee

Post by Newbee »

This first photo was sent to us from the people who lived in the house in the 50's, they are the kids in the pic, they called in about 10 years ago when they were up here.
A few weeks later we received this framed photo, very kind of them.

This is a current photo.

Looks like I'll have to keep using the current photo hosting method, which stores the photos on Google Drive, I have a number of pics on previous pages but the links have
died, I tried to fix them but I'll need admin permission to do that I believe.

Regards Newbee
Sly Fox

Post by Sly Fox »

That's a beautiful old house Newbee, lots of character.
51 Dodge Custom & 63 EH Ute - Dare to be different
Jacksbits

Post by Jacksbits »

All I can say is WOW.
Thanks for that Newbee, it reminds me of the house my parents bought in Cumnock NSW around 40 years ago now.
Jack
Chrisso
Old Hand

Post by Chrisso »

A very nice house mate the Mainline will look grouse parked out the front. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Jacksbits

Post by Jacksbits »

I tried to find a couple of photos, but couldn't so I looked up the internet.
Mum and Dad bought it over 45 years ago and they restored it.
It was built in 1899 and was run down when they bought it, they did a lot of work to it, Dad passed away in 1980 from cancer at the age of 60.
Mum stayed there for a few more years before moving in with me and my wife.
This is why I enjoyed seeing your house as I used to go and give them a hand when I had some spare time.

https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/prop ... -118861499

You might have to copy the link into another browser if it doesn't load.
Newbee

Post by Newbee »

I may as well put some house updates, as the Ute is still on the back burner.

Lounge room

Sons bedroom completed, we had to wait for the tiles in the fire register to come on the slow boat from England.

Painting finished, now onto the white ant damage while I'm waiting for the floor polisher to give me a quote.

Luckily I collected plenty of Baltic pine floor boards when my father and I pulled down an old farm house on my cousins property, he was a builder and cabinet maker and made several side boards out of this timber.

Regards Newbee
rattyrod

Post by rattyrod »

Great work , fire place looks fantastic, love the old school ladder , don’t know if work cover would though :D
when are you going to finish it?
Chrisso
Old Hand

Post by Chrisso »

Very tastefully done there Newbee excellent work mate. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: 8) 8)
Newbee

Post by Newbee »

Finally light at the end of the tunnel that is not a freight train, finished the white ant damage repairs, the floor sander/polisher is locked in for early June.

Got a little shed time in now that the other stuff is not so urgent. I sent the rear springs off for a tidy up, ended up having to have 2 new main leaves made
the fellow did a good job and it was reasonably priced @ about $540 I thought.

Next was the front spring hangers, as you can see are chopped out beyond repair, with the spring eye also wearing through the chassis rail.
I did some measuring up and found some 75 x 75 x 6mm RHS I had in my collection, I cut it up to suit, grabbed a couple of 1/2" G8 bolts and
drilled the holes, I drilled them 1/64" under 1/2" and filed them so they are a firm fit at each end. I'll leave the fitment of them until I have
the body off so I can measure more accurately, also the LHS rear mount has been welded to a dodgy repair of the chassis so that will need attention.

My next project is to get the engine and trans mounted, I have trialed it with the Fox Body sump I got from the states but it still needs some work as the
motor is a long way back to clear the steering rack which would also mean changes to the X member for the trans to fit. I want to avoid that if possible,
if that comes together then the body can come off and I can get stuck into the chassis.

Regards Newbee.
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

Must be good to be back in the workshop. :)
Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
Newbee

Post by Newbee »

Thanks Marcus, I have been in the shed plenty but instead of grinding dust and sparks it has been saw dust, shavings and dust from sanding window frames and beadings.
Puttying up holes and sanding back, undercoats and more sanding and painting, probably all good practice for painting metal instead of wood. :D :D :D :D

Regards Newbee
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

Newbee wrote:Thanks Marcus, I have been in the shed plenty but instead of grinding dust and sparks it has been saw dust, shavings and dust from sanding window frames and beadings.
Puttying up holes and sanding back, undercoats and more sanding and painting, probably all good practice for painting metal instead of wood. :D :D :D :D

Regards Newbee
Just think of the karate kid. Same actions, just a different medium. :)
Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
Newbee

Post by Newbee »

Well that’s pretty crappy, all the pictures are gone. Is there any way to fix them ? I do hope it’s my hosting site not this site we don’t need it to fall over.

At least I’m done with the house renos only a few little jobs left such as door knobs and window locks, I’ll put up some pics when I work out which way to go.

Has anyone attempted to shorten a diff, if so how did you do it ? I have the Borg Warner HD 4 pinion diff out of the NC Fairlane which has one longer side by about 60 mm. I want to use a shorter axle out of another diff and shorten one side by about that 60 mm amount. I’ve been Utubing videos of the process, it’s either shorten the tube somewhere in the middle or cut off the flange and shorten it from one end, l can get a new flange or machine out the original one.

Any issues with using a LH axle in the RH side or visa versa ?

Any advice from the experts appreciated.

Regards Newbee