ford 9" handbrake cable question

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
hot rod andy

ford 9" handbrake cable question

Post by hot rod andy »

can someone shed some light on this handbrake actuator lever, what type of cable/ clevis end is required ?
i've not come across this type before normally a barrel end or clevis hook .
any info appreciated.
cheers Andy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
monte
Old Hand

Re: ford 9" handbrake cable question

Post by monte »

Looks like the cable should come in the other way ,is the lever wrong way around
hot rod andy

Post by hot rod andy »

monte wrote:Looks like the cable should come in the other way ,is the lever wrong way around
Hi Monte always thought the cable came in from the front of the drum?
Have i screwed up.....
Growing old is inevitable..............Growing up is optional............

oz-e-rodder member no 160
Jeff Hitchins

Post by Jeff Hitchins »

monte wrote:Looks like the cable should come in the other way ,is the lever wrong way around
x 2 the cable does come in from the front

Then it hooks to the leaver in your pick (which should be on the rear shoe) but the way you have it the when you pull the hand brake on the cable will pull out of the leaver.

The ball part on the cable needs to be on the other side of the fork - likely you have the left hand side leaver on the right hand side wheel or
you have the leaver anchored on the outside of the rear shoe and it needs to be on the inside (or visa versa)

Either way you need to wind up with the fork turned around 180 degrees so the cable does not fall out when you pull on the hand brake.
hot rod andy

Post by hot rod andy »

Jeff Hitchins wrote:
x 2 the cable does come in from the front

Then it hooks to the leaver in your pick (which should be on the rear shoe) but the way you have it the when you pull the hand brake on the cable will pull out of the leaver.

The ball part on the cable needs to be on the other side of the fork - likely you have the left hand side leaver on the right hand side wheel or
you have the leaver anchored on the outside of the rear shoe and it needs to be on the inside (or visa versa)

Either way you need to wind up with the fork turned around 180 degrees so the cable does not fall out when you pull on the hand brake.
Thanks Jeff the brakes are set up exactly how they we’re supplied. Ive not altered them in any way

Jeff Hitchins

Post by Jeff Hitchins »

Now that's interesting

Rather than rely on memory I have just checked my old ford manual and

The hole in the backing plate where the cable comes through should be at the front - so cable come in from the front

The actuating leaver that the cable hooks to should be on the rear shoe

and the "forks" where the cable connects to the actuating leaver should be facing the rear - so they hold the cable in when the handbrake is operated

If that isn't what you have then perhaps talk to your supplier

If you can just take off and change the actuating leaver then I think that is going to solve your issue
hot rod andy

Post by hot rod andy »

Jeff Hitchins wrote:Now that's interesting

Rather than rely on memory I have just checked my old ford manual and

The hole in the backing plate where the cable comes through should be at the front - so cable come in from the front

The actuating leaver that the cable hooks to should be on the rear shoe

and the "forks" where the cable connects to the actuating leaver should be facing the rear - so they hold the cable in when the handbrake is operated

If that isn't what you have then perhaps talk to your supplier

If you can just take off and change the actuating leaver then I think that is going to solve your issue
Yep all good with your memory and mine upto the forks facing the wrong way.....lefts on right and rights on left me thinks..will investigate tomorrow....just thought i was having a altzimers moments...i get a few lately... :shock:

Mudgy
Old Hand

Post by Mudgy »

No expert here Andy...not by a long shot. But common sense tells me it's arse about. Under tension the cable end has to lock into place, not slip off the fork mount.

At least that's how I'd be planning it.

Cheers, Mudgy
Good Judgement comes from experience....experience comes from bad judgement.
Newbee

Post by Newbee »

Jeff has got it spot on with his explanation, levers are around wrong way (or wrong side) the lever should also actuate the self adjuster cable when the hand brake is applied.

Regards Newbee
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

As per everyone else Andy ,it is back to front .
Someone has screwed up assembly ?. Look at one side of the set up . The rear shoe should have the longer linings . That lever should be sitting behind the shoe on a pivot . With the lower part of the lever configured so the cable is able to hooked in the way all have suggested.
You need to check each trailing shoe to make sure that lever is correctly fitted . It is replaceable when you fit new linings . The pivot pin is fitted from the rear [lever side] and is held in place by a horse shoe shaped retainer that is a squeeze lock in fit to a groove in the pin. Looking at the cable it looks like the coil spring that slides over the cable from the backing plate clip to that end piece is missing .This spring is peeled back under tension when you hook the cable end into the lever and helps hold it. Do you have photos of the brake assembly ? Might be something missing also that we can spot for you .
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

I was trying to say the cable needs to fit into the lever the other way so the lever is wrong way around but the experts have explained it much better :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Need a better shot Andy . When I mentioned the spring encapsulating the cable missing ,I went back to your picture and looked more carefully .I must have had a "seniors moment" The cable is configured correctly . That particular shoe is a left hand side rear brake shoe .
Another photo will make more sense by turning the shoe 180 degrees with the shoe on the RH side and the cable heading left of picture, the lever should be sitting behind the shoe .. That "end cap" of the cable does not slip off ,it becomes sandwiched by the tension of the spring sleeve that is missing .
hot rod andy

Post by hot rod andy »

Thanks guys was a bit tongue in cheek.....a little stab at the supplier for mixing it up a bit....but did have me thinking for awhile......it was your comments and quick responses that confirmed what i thought left on right and visa versa...seems every repo part ive bought needs works or something important is missing......piont in fact the handbrake/emergency cable is from wilwood and dosnt have the return springs ( the bit thats sit inside the drum on the inner cable) anyone give me a part no or supplier for them
Cheers Andy

hot rod andy

Post by hot rod andy »

nope thats not going to work somethings wrong.... :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Yep wrong Andy .

First up make sure that you have the shoes with the longer linings.
The levers are fitted to the shoe on the backing plate side or rear with the pin inserted from the lever side and the "crimped horseshoe" on the brake shoe side . The lower end "tangs" for the cable face to the backing plate