Engineered seat belts with stainless buckles?

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Re: Engineered seat belts with stainless buckles?

Post by FRANK BASILE »

You can get an old one RWC / registered without seat belts in Vic ,if it pre dates 1964 from memory . From then on the vehicles have the anchor mounts if I am not mistaken . Someone can correct me . And of course if you modify the vehicle to the extent it needs a VASS then belts are mandated .

Also a quick read of the link supplied by Harv. Simply refers to the buckle requirement "quick release" . Reading more there is reference to all sorts of jargon on approval numbers etc . Mention of an international standard with a circled "E" and a number representing a country . Gets back to what is on the labels of the newer vehicles we are importing . I have a suspicion that any approved belt goes now, and the exclusive AU standard has been by passed in the "global scheme" I cannot imagine a requirement for someone churning out vehicles to put "special belts " in those destined for Australia. Is it the stitching ,the webbing material , or the buckle ? . I bet the webbing is no longer made here like everything else :( . I will check my boxed up new "Klippan " belts from Bursons tomorrow to see where made and what numbers they have.

I just went out and tried the Mustang . Simple one or two fingers flips the buckle and release :D :D :D . No slower than pressing an orange or red button :roll: :roll:
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
UteWorks

Post by UteWorks »

Mopar Mick wrote:I want a set of chrome aircraft type (lift up) seat belts. 8)

Is this possible using webbing with the correct tags made by an Australian manufacturer/distributor :?:

Mick.
Go around to the nearest aircraft maintenance workshop, they usually got boxs of old 3 point single shoulder seat belts that were removed when an aircraft gets updated to retractable 4 point belts. For a six pack of beer they should be able to find a shiny set.

If doing a google, the brand is "Amsafe"
--------------------------------------------------------------------

The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change... http://wattsupwiththat.com/

Australia’s most viewed site on global warming... http://joannenova.com.au
johnonetrillion

Post by johnonetrillion »

You may be able to get a roadworthy for a car with the stainless clasps (I did) – but VicRoads and engineers will not pass them.
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

johnonetrillion wrote:You may be able to get a roadworthy for a car with the stainless clasps (I did) – but VicRoads and engineers will not pass them.
Bit of a problem , because the RWC tester would have to pass a vehicle based on ADR,s if applicable or VicRoads standard . And VicRoads issues and monitors testers licence . If you look for the seatbelt requirements "quick release" I did see somewhere . What is the difference between trying to push an orange button to flipping a lever ?
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
johnonetrillion

Post by johnonetrillion »

FRANK BASILE wrote:What is the difference between trying to push an orange button to flipping a lever ?
Just the correct look for a restored car (in my case). On a resto-mod, hot rod or custom it's less of a deal. (But I reckon plenty of old school hot rodders would prefer to original look too.)

And you are probably right re the ADRs etc.. In my case the clasps are original to the car and the rego is H plates.