rear 4 bars

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
monte
Old Hand

rear 4 bars

Post by monte »

Just doing a bit of research on a 4 bar set up for my E L falcon diff ,I am thinking Coilovers with unequal parallel 4 bar set up ,It says in the Guideline book that the top bar should be half the length of the bottom bar ,has anybody used this set up and does it work ok .Seems that I recall the EL diff had a similar set up on it from original .I am thinking that the top bar will be 350mm long and the bottom one 700 mm long
Shabby T
Old Hand

Re: rear 4 bars

Post by Shabby T »

I made equal length parallel 4 bar with panhard bar with XJ12 coil overs. XJ6 coils are way too heavy, did not even move with the weight of the Coupe on them

Gives a nice ride, probably a bit soft when I’m towing, and it could do with a bit more travel, once again only when towing.

I built in 3 upper & 3 lower shock mount points, so I can fine tune it a bit more if required
Cheers,
Terry

That's going straight to the pool room!
[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/tan60/images.jpg[/img]
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

Hi Terry ,how is the good lady do not see her on here much anymore as a lot of others I guess :D :D :D
I made the 4 Bar set up for the 34 RPU that I have just finished with coilovers and it works very well ,I put rubber bushes in the bars instead of plastic and the ride great ,just gives it a bit more movement I reckon .I am looking at another build and it will have a big kickup at the rear so it would be a lot easier if I can use the shorter Bar set up at the top and a longer one at the bottom ,the other way I guess is to put a Triangulated 4 bar set up on but I am not a fan of them really ,just wondering if anybody had used the unequal bar set up and how it went .
I have drawn it out on the floor in full size and pinion angle ect seem to be maintained through the travel up and down :D :D :D
hotrodsteve

Post by hotrodsteve »

Hi Monte, just wondering if you had thought about using the bars and coils out of the EL Falcon. Mate over here has done it on a couple of rods and they work well. Regards Steve.
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

Yer Steve I will look into that ,do they use the springs in the same place as original or do they use coilovers ,any Pics would be good ,thanks :D :D
hotrodsteve

Post by hotrodsteve »

Both used shortened standard springs. I’ll see if I can get some pics for you. Coil overs could be adapted easily although more expensive.
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

Thanks Steve that would be great ,will buy you a beer when you come over for the Nationals :D :D
SimonG

Post by SimonG »

I have used a shortened AU diff in my prefect and was able to adapt the standard bars and just made a bucket to mount a shortened spring.

My plan was to use a shock that mounts inside the spring and will make a bracket for under the spring cap and try use the standard lower mount. So far I have not had to change the factory mounts at all and hope this helps.
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

Thanks for that info mate ,gives me something to think about :D :D :D :D
Shabby T
Old Hand

Post by Shabby T »

Yes Monte, neither of us get on here as often as we should, life gets in the way sometimes, we are both going well though.
Our Tudor has the long lower, short upper parallel 4 bar set up from a Chrysler Centura, very similar to Commodore.
They use larger rubber bushes and a panhard bar, the TTudor is a good set up but the same as our coupe, it could do with a bit more clearance
Cheers,
Terry

T1916

Post by T1916 »

I used the original long and short arms with original coil springs and sway bar on the back of my T (cortina housing, falcon axles) with air shocks. Been there for 37 years works perfectly. Car is fully fendered, so you don,t see them, only the diff housing from the rear.

Cheers GT.
Chrisso
Old Hand

Post by Chrisso »

I've used Torana ones with coil overs in the Pilot and they pleased the engineer and seem to work very well. I did get told by a few armchair builders that it wouldn't pass and wouldn't work :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: but hey it did both :wink: :wink:
Funny that..... :roll: :roll: ..... :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Shabby T
Old Hand

Post by Shabby T »

Chrisso wrote:I've used Torana ones with coil overs in the Pilot and they pleased the engineer and seem to work very well. I did get told by a few armchair builders that it wouldn't pass and wouldn't work :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: but hey it did both :wink: :wink:
Funny that..... :roll: :roll: ..... :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I had the same statement made about our Coupe, by a so called Hot Rod builder "It will never work" 18 years and 100,000 km's later the old bomb is still going fine.
Cheers,
Terry

monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

I did try the Falcon rear once before but copped a bit of flak about it so gave it up but with rod parts getting sooo expensive having another look at the whole situation ,I have a 30 A cowl so intend to build something with it
Greg N Smith

Post by Greg N Smith »

G'Day Monte

Model A Woody Panel Van ?

What are you like with timber ?

Cheers