Bolt pattern alteration.

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Bolt pattern alteration.

Post by FRANK BASILE »

With a Jag f/e soon to go under our F1 ,I prefer to keep the existing custom wheels before going out and replacing them with steel off shelf multifit . The wheels have the stud holes as a basic drill with taper into the hub flat surface face. I am looking for a business in /near Melbourne that can simply convert these to multifit by doing another set of holes for Chev bolt pattern . I tried Neway in Heidelberg and they do not do multifit . They will swap centres though, simply to change one pattern to another . Eastern wheels in Lilydale that advertise pattern changes have not responded after leaving messages both yesterday and this morning . Looking for another supplier if one exists .
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Re: Bolt pattern alteration.

Post by FRANK BASILE »

I can answer my question . Found a place locally "Wheel Mods" in FTG . Got back to me promptly with an affirmative .
Dave
Old Hand

Post by Dave »

Why would Neway not do multifit? As in the 10 hole dual pattern variety, not the 5 hole tapered variety. Weld wheels and many brand new U.S. built wheels run multi pattern. Any alloy mags that have solid centres should easily be able to be multi drilled. Obviously those that are are hollow between stud holes can only have one drilling but if solid I can't see a problem.
Dave Petrusma
Greg N Smith

Post by Greg N Smith »

Hi Frank
Are these steel or alloy centres ?
Any photos ?
Would you be better off spending your money on the final solution when you change the front end ?
Cheers
olfrt

Post by olfrt »

There was a lot of discussion recently on fitting Ford discs to Jag front ends. Would that solve your problem, and get better discs in the bargain.??
To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

The wheels are steel . My simple question to some suppliers was to drill and make them multifit . Neway would not do the drilling ,they would "replace centres" . The other mob Eastern Wheelworks in Lilydale still have not returned my call,if I called today it would be day 3 . Within the hour "Wheelmods in FTG returned my email with a positive and at $50 per wheel . I love no hassles :D
I did look at the brake conversion , for a change of bolt pattern on the front ,it was around $1400 from memory , other option was to re pattern the rear axles and drums to Chev and swap out the wheels . My preference always leans to leaving as much as you can stock, over the counter ,easily available replacement bits should I need to replace something busted or worn . BCI in Geelong got back to me promptly and positively earlier in the year when I enquired about some steelie multifit wheels for the job . I knew this was an option . The more I looked at the existing wheels ,I liked them as they were part of the original US build .
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

I can (sort of) understand Neway's approach.

The original holes are in the strongest part of the wheel.

The new holes will be in the weakest part of the wheel.

I'm not 100% sure I would be jumping out of my skin at the re-drilled wheels.

I've has modified steel wheels fail before and it ain't pretty.

Not to sure I would want to drive on them.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
rx4ord
Old Hand

Post by rx4ord »

Redrilled wheels are something I can say I have not seen fail.
Safety first Frank would only do the safest thing I reckon.

Tassie Dave
Founding Member of OZ-E-Rodders
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

zuffen wrote:I can (sort of) understand Neway's approach.

The original holes are in the strongest part of the wheel.

The new holes will be in the weakest part of the wheel.

I'm not 100% sure I would be jumping out of my skin at the re-drilled wheels.

I've has modified steel wheels fail before and it ain't pretty.

Not to sure I would want to drive on them.
They never saw them . Just told me over the phone that they do not "re pattern" wheels ,they can swap centres
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

rx4ord wrote:Redrilled wheels are something I can say I have not seen fail.
Safety first Frank would only do the safest thing I reckon.

Tassie Dave
Hi Dave. The place that will do them has seen a photo . I will ask questions when I get to see them with wheels . Last "multifit" I actually owned was back in the early 70,s . 32 Ford with 48 drums up front with 13" rims and Customline diff with 14" rims. The spare wheel was a 13" rim with welded around circumference circular flat steel plate centre drilled with both bolt patterns and tapers .
Kiwipaul
Old Hand

Post by Kiwipaul »

Dave wrote:Why would Neway not do multifit? As in the 10 hole dual pattern variety, not the 5 hole tapered variety. Weld wheels and many brand new U.S. built wheels run multi pattern. Any alloy mags that have solid centres should easily be able to be multi drilled. Obviously those that are are hollow between stud holes can only have one drilling but if solid I can't see a problem.
Dave Neway Wheels have slow down on doing steel wheels some time back. You will remember them Jag wheels I was having problems with well in the end I had them turned again back to standeded and I got neway to do them for me and I to wait to get them done as one of the brother are the only one who is still doing steel wheels.I had to shift my back wheels in 40 mm each and it was the same with them. They are doing non steel wheels.
I have a 1942 Jail Bar Pick Up Being done (Two more years ) and a 1930-34 Continental ( In Storage)