El Cheapo Build

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
Big G
Old Hand

Re: El Cheapo Build

Post by Big G »

Great therapy Frank, no negative shit here !!!!!
Newbee wrote:Hi Big G, sounds like you need to get a new B & T. You don't want to injure yourself but for a one man show mechanical aids are a must ! Keep up the good work.

Regards Newbee
Sure does, have to seil some parts first.
Founding Oz E Rodder Member
I've lost the Plot
One day I will find it !
Dad-bud

Post by Dad-bud »

Hi there Big G,

Looking forward to seeing more progress pics and description.

Cheers mate.
Perth, WA
Big G
Old Hand

Post by Big G »

Work has slowed to a halt for the last week as I have been fitting french doors to our kitchen so we can eat out in our lovely garden, will get back to it next week.
I've lost the Plot
One day I will find it !
mabrown

Post by mabrown »

Big G wrote:Work has slowed to a halt for the last week as I have been fitting french doors to our kitchen so we can eat out in our lovely garden, will get back to it next week.
Hi Big G. Hope the doors have met the missus' standards mate 'cos I really need to see some more El Cheopo Build progress... it's keeping me going... no pressure mate :D
Big G
Old Hand

Post by Big G »

It will happen
I've lost the Plot
One day I will find it !
mabrown

Post by mabrown »

Big G wrote:It will happen
Good to hear mate. I'm so looking forward to seeing this one preggress. That chassis as you said is in great nick and clearly built to last. I reckon like my Mk7 Jag chassis she's pretty heavily engineered but looks much better built (I'm pretty sure I've decided to use the Durant./Rugby chassis for my current planned build). Do you have plans to shorten or otherwise modify it (rather than the obvious I guess of engine and trans mounting? What are your suspension / axle plans? These are all things I'm trying to decide for my own attempt at an el cheapo build as I try to find a doable plan I can work on with my boy as I hopfully beat the odds on this bloody illness I've got). Cheers mate :D
Big G
Old Hand

Post by Big G »

mabrown wrote:
Big G wrote:It will happen
Good to hear mate. I'm so looking forward to seeing this one preggress. That chassis as you said is in great nick and clearly built to last. I reckon like my Mk7 Jag chassis she's pretty heavily engineered but looks much better built (I'm pretty sure I've decided to use the Durant./Rugby chassis for my current planned build). Do you have plans to shorten or otherwise modify it (rather than the obvious I guess of engine and trans mounting? What are your suspension / axle plans? These are all things I'm trying to decide for my own attempt at an el cheapo build as I try to find a doable plan I can work on with my boy as I hopfully beat the odds on this bloody illness I've got). Cheers mate :D
The stock chassis is a bit longer, I have tried to make the tub and tray to look proportional, it will have the original parrallel springs front and back with several springs removed for a softer ride. The front axle is from a 1956 ford with disc brakes rear will either have the diff from the donor car a 1991 NC fairlane or one from a 1976 Ford Marquis donor car, both are disc brakes. I will have to find or have made a tailshaft {used to modify them myself} that is longer than the donor car. I hope to use the fairlane steering rack but can fall back to the Marquis steering box. I have been doing an hours work on it everyday but nothing to play show & tell about.
I've lost the Plot
One day I will find it !
rx4ord
Old Hand

Post by rx4ord »

Sounds great G.
Any work is good.

Tassie Dave
Founding Member of OZ-E-Rodders
Big G
Old Hand

Post by Big G »

Thanks Dave
I've lost the Plot
One day I will find it !
mabrown

Post by mabrown »

rx4ord wrote:Sounds great G.
Any work is good.

Tassie Dave
Sure is. An hour a day is a great effort Big G.

Sorry, you will have to forgive my lack of Ford knowledge. Looking at pictures of the NC, the suspension looks to be body mounted rather than on some sort of bolt-up sub-frame? Would your plan be to cut out those suspension body sections from the NC and weld into the Hudson direct or perhaps frame those parts to make a sort of bolt-in suspension sub-frame?

One reason I'm really thinking about going for the VL Commodore K-frames is that it should I hope reduce my workload a bit to my limited skill set and it is kind of what I'm used to on the Jag's. Leave's me the heavier Jag bits for later too for the original special. Already got that RB30 and box so in keeping with your El-Cheapo ethos everything else should then be a pretty easy bolt-up.

Please show you work as soon as you can. You are motivating me big time to keep-on-keepin' on (no presuure :lol: )
Big G
Old Hand

Post by Big G »

mabrown wrote:
rx4ord wrote:Sounds great G.
Any work is good.

Tassie Dave
Sure is. An hour a day is a great effort Big G.

Sorry, you will have to forgive my lack of Ford knowledge. Looking at pictures of the NC, the suspension looks to be body mounted rather than on some sort of bolt-up sub-frame? Would your plan be to cut out those suspension body sections from the NC and weld into the Hudson direct or perhaps frame those parts to make a sort of bolt-in suspension sub-frame?

One reason I'm really thinking about going for the VL Commodore K-frames is that it should I hope reduce my workload a bit to my limited skill set and it is kind of what I'm used to on the Jag's. Leave's me the heavier Jag bits for later too for the original special. Already got that RB30 and box so in keeping with your El-Cheapo ethos everything else should then be a pretty easy bolt-up.

Please show you work as soon as you can. You are motivating me big time to keep-on-keepin' on (no presuure :lol: )

Parralell leaf spring suspension front and rear If I use this diff, it will have all the modern stuff cut off and spring saddles welded on. n The front suspension I will take discs and calliper
s off and if I can't use them, will sell them.
I've lost the Plot
One day I will find it !
mabrown

Post by mabrown »

Hi mate, sorry, you already did explain your suspension plans to me in an earlier post and they make great sesnse. They will look traditional and give you some stopping power if you can use the late front brakes. I'm getting closer to the Durant/Rugby build being the one below so that plan makes a bit of sense for me too I think and If I can't achieve road reg first time out maybe I can at least have some fun with it hill climbing and leave the boy to decide what he would like from it later.
3117_10582994_4.jpg
Lovin' this thread mate. Browny
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mabrown

Post by mabrown »

Mark B here; Well, I tried to exceed the 1 hour limit yesterday and paid the price for it in the afternoon with sheer exhaustion and then general bad attitude to everyone around me. I wasn't even doing anything heavy. Mostly just measuring. The brain problem makes doing anything you can trust yourself with really hard so everything gets checked so many times and then becomes almost meaningless.

I've hijacked your thread enough now Big G (though I'm still looking forward to commenting on the next show & tell :D ).

I'll head on over to the Shed again and also have some new questions to ask about clubs, racing and the like in the Rego section etc
Big G
Old Hand

Post by Big G »

I have been doiong my hour or so a day and this is where I am up to. them chassis is almost ready to be wlded the body frame is ready andm I am at the moment playing with the front springs.
The centre bolt in the parrallel front springs is off set, can anyone tell me which way does it fit to the front or back ??
Yhe chassis is upside down and the two parts facing upwards are the gearbox mounting .

Image.

The rest of the crossmember has to be boxed as well

url=https://postimages.org/]Image[/url]

The tub frame ready for the welder.

THe centre pin where the axle allocated on.
I've lost the Plot
One day I will find it !
rx4ord
Old Hand

Post by rx4ord »

Go for it G.
Good progress.

Tassie Dave
Founding Member of OZ-E-Rodders