El Cheapo Build

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
Gojeep
Old Hand

Re: El Cheapo Build

Post by Gojeep »

I could only see half the photos just posted but the centre pin normally has the short distance to the eye towards the front. The reason is the shorter distance help control axle wind up but you still get the better ride of the longer spring.
Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
Big G
Old Hand

Post by Big G »

Gojeep wrote:I could only see half the photos just posted but the centre pin normally has the short distance to the eye towards the front. The reason is the shorter distance help control axle wind up but you still get the better ride of the longer spring.
Thanks
Founding Oz E Rodder Member
I've lost the Plot
One day I will find it !
mabrown

Post by mabrown »

Great stuff Big G and you've inspired me to get back into what I'm planning again. It looks like I really do have a plan now which I might start yet another shed post for to keep it separate from all my other false starts. I've got really good info now and a real model and correct chassis number range for my Durant :D

Thanks for taking the time to keep us updated mate and as always I'm looking forward to the next one
Big G
Old Hand

Post by Big G »

I haven't posted for a while, there hasn't been much to tell. I am convinced "Arse beats Class", I removed the rack & pinion off the donor car and lined it up with the F100 front end. It fits perfectly taper is right and I didn't even have to adjust the length.

A month ago, I bought a 1974 Ford monarch with a 351. A complete car but was in a metre of water for two weeks. Car was a runner before being flooded about 10yrs ago and of course was stuffed. I did a deal over the weekend to get the chassis and body frame welded up by a pro for the car. Total cost to me = $150 which is what I paid for the car. This guy quoted $600 for the job so I did well.

Hopefully the welding will be done in a week.
I've lost the Plot
One day I will find it !
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Well done Glynn. Good when things tumble into place instead of the set backs we encounter often. I am trying to figure the rack set up with parallel front leaf springs. You mention F100?
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

FRANK BASILE wrote:Well done Glynn. Good when things tumble into place instead of the set backs we encounter often. I am trying to figure the rack set up with parallel front leaf springs. You mention F100?
If you have a I beam axle you can't fit a chassis mounted rack. Otherwise everytime the suspension moves up and down it will pull and push the steering arms causing tow in and out with every bump. Only if you fit the rack to the axle and have a telescoping shaft to the steering column could it work.
Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Gojeep wrote:If you have a I beam axle you can't fit a chassis mounted rack. Otherwise everytime the suspension moves up and down it will pull and push the steering arms causing tow in and out with every bump. Only if you fit the rack to the axle and have a telescoping shaft to the steering column could it work.
As Gojeep has indicated, a conventionally mounted rack and pinion will not function satisfactorily with a beam axle.

There is a hybrid method for those determined to use a rack and pinion with a beam axle. A long tie rod is run from one end of the rack to the steering arm on the other side of the vehicle, then a conventional beam axle tie rod connects both steering arms. The rack and pinion effectively becomes a substitute steering box. Although this works, it does seem a complicated method of solving a simple problem.
T1916

Post by T1916 »

I have a chassis mounted rack (camira) on my T behind a beam axle since 1984, no bump steer, and never had a problem with it.

Cheers GT.
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

I think would depend on how much suspension travel you have and if you have a lot you would get Bump steer ,why not just use a steering box :D :D :D
Big G
Old Hand

Post by Big G »

I understand what you guys are saying, but mine is different, the axle will be sitting under parrallel springs which would even out the wheel to wheel suspension travel. It shouldn't be much different to independent suspension movement. I will test the front end movement with it all together before I go further with the front end. If it doesn't work then I will fit a steering box.
I've lost the Plot
One day I will find it !
Big G
Old Hand

Post by Big G »

monte wrote:I think would depend on how much suspension travel you have and if you have a lot you would get Bump steer ,why not just use a steering box :D :D :D
I am trying to build the car as cheap as I can and therefore will try to use as much of the donor car as I can.
I've lost the Plot
One day I will find it !
Big G
Old Hand

Post by Big G »

T1916 wrote:I have a chassis mounted rack (camira) on my T behind a beam axle since 1984, no bump steer, and never had a problem with it.

Cheers GT.

The Camira arms pivot from the centre of the rack and are longer than most others so are able to withstand more movement before bump steer occurrs.
I've lost the Plot
One day I will find it !
jeffa
Old Hand

Post by jeffa »

monte wrote:I think would depend on how much suspension travel you have and if you have a lot you would get Bump steer ,why not just use a steering box :D :D :D
Yeah, I agree with Monte... And the one ON the F100 comes to mind... Set up, ready to go. And I imagine even Ford spent more than a few dollars on R & D for it.
Yeah. I've changed my signature. The old one was out of date...
What if climate change IS a hoax, and we make a better world for nothing?
hudson nut

Post by hudson nut »

Big G, do you have any updates for us?
25 Hudson speedster project
29 Hudson coupe
36 Hudson 4dr sedan
36 Hudson LWB 4dr sedan
40 Hudson 2dr sedan
41 Hudson coupe
54 Hudson coupe
Big G
Old Hand

Post by Big G »

hudson nut wrote:Big G, do you have any updates for us?
Here is a show & tell as requested.
Unfortunately I am suffering from arfarightarse in the lower back, the pain is severe until the pain killers kick in and it slows me down so there is not a lot of progress on Elcheapo. Things are going ahead but not as fast as I would like and if I can solve a few small problems without costing an arm or leg (Back would be OK) I would have the chassis on the ground but still high enough so I wouldn't have to bend.

This is the bender I made. it works great.

I've got the best mig welder off Ebay, 1ghz inverter. 220A. small and great welds.

The rear of the body

The first door I made, I used two smaller bits of sheet, not happy with it and will do it again with a full sheet.

I bent up the transmission tunnel but won't fit it until the flathead is home.

I cannot decide how to fit the front of both lots of springs, do I make a new hanger or hunt for suitable bushes with a 10mm centre?????
Rear

Front
Image cannot do any more to the chassis until I get this home next week.

I swapped my 302W for this flattie which I pick up next week. Can't wait !!!! I can see a holden 3 speed aftermarket Speco shifter will work attached to the gearbox.

I've lost the Plot
One day I will find it !