XJS Jag fornt spring rates ????

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
Angry

XJS Jag fornt spring rates ????

Post by Angry »

Dont know if this is the right forum,...or tech items...

I know that the Jag XJS Coupe runs the same front end as the XJ6 Sedans. but with a bigger sway bar and higher rate springs ,..

Does anyone know how much higher the spring rate is for XJS front springs over XJ6 Sedans ????

Thinking about a slightly stiffer set of front springs in the front for Effy
Al.

64 Ford F100 SWB Patina Pickup
69 Camaro Z28 Clone....
grahamjb

Re: XJS Jag fornt spring rates ????

Post by grahamjb »

Angry
Not an answer to your question however I fitted XJ12 springs to the front of my AR-110 which gave me an increase of 25mm in ride height and less body roll.
GB
Angry

Post by Angry »

grahamjb wrote:Angry
Not an answer to your question however I fitted XJ12 springs to the front of my AR-110 which gave me an increase of 25mm in ride height and less body roll.
GB

So youve fitted a Jag front end to your ???..love the old Inters...a mate has 2 a 46 K5 n a late 50s Ute

Post pics of yours
Al.

64 Ford F100 SWB Patina Pickup
69 Camaro Z28 Clone....
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

I imagine the V12 has stiffer springs. Something regarding the springs I have to look at with our F1 . 350 Chev .The S111 suspension does not clear the rubber bump stops under the upper control arms. The bonnet is on. Only missing the front guards ,radiator /grill sheet metal.Guards are glass anyway. Two adults on the frame rails is not enough weight either. In other words the missing front hardware must be lighter anyway. We can lightly bounce and just get movement to get daylight under the stops.
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
46 deluxe
Old Hand

Post by 46 deluxe »

I know this is an old thread but was wondering if you changed your springs Angry ?
I've just put a jag f/e under my 56 effy and i reckon the 6 cyl springs are a bit soft and i'll need to lift it about an inch .
Anyone know the wire size on the xj12 springs ?
scott
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

46 deluxe wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:48 am I know this is an old thread but was wondering if you changed your springs Angry ?
I've just put a jag f/e under my 56 effy and i reckon the 6 cyl springs are a bit soft and i'll need to lift it about an inch .
Anyone know the wire size on the xj12 springs ?
Have the springs been changed to lighter one? Normally XJ springs are too hard for SBC's and have to be cut or softer ones used. Not sure what motor you're running. XJ12 are normally stiffer due to the increased weight of the V12
Regards Bob
46 deluxe
Old Hand

Post by 46 deluxe »

My effy still has it's y block in it along with it's cast iron bellhousing and heavy old man trans , and it's a bloody heavy old thing .
As far as i know the springs in it are standard old xj6 springs , they are pretty rusty and sad looking and may have sagged .
But at the moment although i love the stance the effy has , it's practically sitting on the lower bump stops .
scott
dodgebuildup

Post by dodgebuildup »

I put a series 2 jag front end in my 38 dodge pickup with a 6.1 hemi and couldn’t get it to bounce off the bump stops. Ended up changing springs to jag with chev pedders springs. This changed the front end to feeling like it did in the jag before I removed it. The dodge isn’t finished yet but it does look like it will work pretty good. Cheers Tony
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Don't quote me on this but i was told years ago that the 2.4 ltr had softer springs than the 4.2ltr but don't know that for a fact
Regards Bob
46 deluxe
Old Hand

Post by 46 deluxe »

I've got some xj12 springs coming and i'll also put the 2 packers back in each side that i didn't use from the original setup .
Hpoefully it will sort it out , because i hate doing these springs as i had one almost take my head off a month or so ago . :D
scott
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

Buy a set of spring compression clamps.

I did it the brave way for too many years, then purchased a set (they're silly cheap) and I can't believe I was doing it the old way.

The old way is a good way to lose a finger or suffer some other injury you don't need.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
46 deluxe
Old Hand

Post by 46 deluxe »

Spring clamps aren't really an option on the jag front ends .
You either need to go down through the center of the spring with a long hi tensile threaded rod , or some people use 4 threaded rods from the bottom wishbone .
i'll be using both options to be safe . :D
scott
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

Good move,
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

]I have an S111 6 cyl under the front of our 49F1 with 350 Chev. Sits nice and rides well, the lower arms have a slight downward angle as well, goes around corners with zip roll.Image Mine is the front vehicle,stopped by the side of the road when I spotted the 50 model behind me. It also has a 350 and running the original beam axle f/e------------------------------------
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
46 deluxe
Old Hand

Post by 46 deluxe »

I wish that was the case with mine Frank .
My xj12 springs arrived today , so i'll fit them and my new rack in the next day or 2 .
Interestingly the new standard v12 springs are slightly shorter than a new pair of 6 cyl springs i have , but the wire is slightly thicker .
Fingers crossed the new springs will fix it .
scott