WOW...must be a new record....

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
rx4ord
Old Hand

Re: WOW...must be a new record....

Post by rx4ord »

Succint and to the point Col.
Oh yeah and Aussie as well. A flying fuck is a ripper way to show
your annoyance with the Banger Boys.
Tossers one and all.

Tassie Dave
Founding Member of OZ-E-Rodders
fatboy48

Post by fatboy48 »

WELL SAID COL....STRAIGHT TO THE POINT. i agree with you.
Popey

Post by Popey »

Yes, I seen it. I just kept my trap shut too!

Rodding has always been about improving the performance, safety and aesthetic. Some are taking the retro thing to a ‘purist’ position, not unlike that of restorers.

While I probably wouldn’t put a V6 Commodore into a Tee; I did help a friend fit a Capri V6 to a ‘30 A Tourer in the ‘80’s!
spanners

Post by spanners »

I don't do faceplant or whatever it's called but I get on the HAMB site fairly often mainly because that's where I post my race reports. There is a section for the HA/GR racers and I'm doing a lot more racing than most of them so they like the reports and the videos I put up. As for the other stuff, I'm not a big fan of using old brakes for the sake of 'traditional'.
Shirley you must be joking? I'm not, and don't call me Shirley.
Greg N Smith

Post by Greg N Smith »

What is wrong with using mechanical brakes ?
enjenjo

Post by enjenjo »

Greg N Smith wrote:What is wrong with using mechanical brakes ?
Nothing as long as everyone else is using them too. It's like the old joke about two guys being chased by a bear. One guy stops to put on running shoes, and the other says " that won't let you outrun the bear" and the first guy says, "I don't have to outrun the bear, as long as I outrun you".
People who think they know it all, bother those of us that do.
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

The comment on the mechanical brakes did make me smile remembering back to the mid 70,s when I got a "restored" 1934 Ford. It did have 2 mods. One being a later 48 flathead, the other was wide mag wheels. First comment I got was "Start braking 2 or 3 house lengths before a street corner". This was the accepted level of brake performance, and was told that "The Roadworthy guy could not find any adjustment" This had me godsmacked. Took me not long to adjust the" non existent adjustors" that are bolt heads on the backing plates. The next was the mechanical rods and adjusting those for equality and front rear balance. Amazing how well she actually stopped after that. Only other issue was the front end shimmy that could start up on a tram line :shock: . Scared the daylights out of me. Not long after that, a HK disc front end fixed everything :D
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
spanners

Post by spanners »

[quote]
Have you driven on the same roads as I do with the numb- nut steering wheel attendants who find it necessary to overtake and then stop in front of you to turn?
Shirley you must be joking? I'm not, and don't call me Shirley.
Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

Greg N Smith wrote:What is wrong with using mechanical brakes ?
...just about everything, there are a number of reasons they were obsolete by the 1930's....why anyone would voluntarily build a car using them defies logic. Remember, we are sharing the road with folks who like to pull out in front of you, jump in front and then stop, and a host of other mental things that need for you to be able to stop effin' quickly. If you can't...you die! :)
-------------
Col....

"Works" comes before "looks good", cos "looks good" changes, and "works" works!
Greg N Smith

Post by Greg N Smith »

Hi Young Col I was just going with the theme of the thread ... the vibe ....

Then Spanners said - I'm not a big fan of using old brakes for the sake of 'traditional'

Traditional is good ...

Original Henry Ford parts ....

Hot Rods from the 1930s ...

And then the Entrants voted for a 1937 Plymouth Coupe as the Top Rod and also had a 1962 EK Holden in the Top Twenty (both great cars)
Mr Model A
Old Hand

Post by Mr Model A »

just an update on that T tourer, Clem advertised the complete chassis with motor etc. so I assume
he's really getting into it.
never odd or even
steve the ford guy

Post by steve the ford guy »

momma told me not to use anything but disc brakes and IFS so I followed her advice...and just like that I got rearended sitting at a red light...Forrest Gump
Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

Mr Model A wrote:just an update on that T tourer, Clem advertised the complete chassis with motor etc. so I assume
he's really getting into it.
Yeah,saw that. Bit of a shame to do that to an old survivor these days, but I guess not everyone thinks the same as us ,eh Phil ? :D
-------------
Col....

Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

Greg N Smith wrote:Hi Young Col I was just going with the theme of the thread ... the vibe ....

Then Spanners said - I'm not a big fan of using old brakes for the sake of 'traditional'

Traditional is good ...

Original Henry Ford parts ....

Hot Rods from the 1930s ...

And then the Entrants voted for a 1937 Plymouth Coupe as the Top Rod and also had a 1962 EK Holden in the Top Twenty (both great cars)
...yes, that was odd ,for sure! :roll:
-------------
Col....

Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

steve the ford guy wrote:momma told me not to use anything but disc brakes and IFS so I followed her advice...and just like that I got rearended sitting at a red light...Forrest Gump
...probably by some joker with mecho brakes :lol: :lol:

Last year I had to deliver a clients car that had been in the shop for some repairs, it was a restored '36 Sedan...nice old car,but it really didn't know about stopping. Scary thing in traffic, had to be ready to jump on the pedal and had to allow a few blocks for it to slow up. Panic stops didn't exist, so I found myself well up behind any groups of cars just in case one wanted to stop or diverge.....that was bad enuff, but then the old clunker didn't pull up straight,or even pull in the same direction more than once. Was "interesting"....it also had dodgy rear shocks, so when you did pull up the back tended to lift, a strange sensation I can tell ya!. When I finally got to where I was going and handed it over, I mentioned to the owner that perhaps a set of hydraulics would be a good thing for it ( and shockers)...nah, he said, you just have to give it plenty of room to stop. :roll: ...you don't always get that choice these days, but his car,his decision. Shits you a bit though when you think of all the bullshit we hotrodders have to go to get legit rego.....but the same basic car as a stocker can be shithouse, and that's ok ? :shock:
-------------
Col....