Citric acid issue

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
hudson nut

Citric acid issue

Post by hudson nut »

A year or so ago I mixed up a batch of citric acid and used it with great results. I got the container out again and mixed it up well with a paint mixer on a cordless drill. I dropped a part in it for about 24 hours, and it came out clean as a whistle, just like before. I put in a water pump body that I am rebuilding, and forgot about it for a week... Idiot... now it has a crystal like coating over every surface that’s was not vertical in the bath. I’m supposing my only mistake was I left it in too long. Or have I gotten my use out of this batch of acid? I can’t be the first one to experience this... What is the best way to get the crystallized coating off? Or should I just spend the $100 on a rebuilt pump?

Thanks,
Dany
25 Hudson speedster project
29 Hudson coupe
36 Hudson 4dr sedan
36 Hudson LWB 4dr sedan
40 Hudson 2dr sedan
41 Hudson coupe
54 Hudson coupe

Re: Citric acid issue

Post by 666 »

hudson nut wrote:A year or so ago I mixed up a batch of citric acid and used it with great results. I got the container out again and mixed it up well with a paint mixer on a cordless drill. I dropped a part in it for about 24 hours, and it came out clean as a whistle, just like before. I put in a water pump body that I am rebuilding, and forgot about it for a week... Idiot... now it has a crystal like coating over every surface that’s was not vertical in the bath. I’m supposing my only mistake was I left it in too long. Or have I gotten my use out of this batch of acid? I can’t be the first one to experience this... What is the best way to get the crystallized coating off? Or should I just spend the $100 on a rebuilt pump?

Thanks,
Dany
I have had that happen myself, left a panel in to long and come out the same. After a number of attempts to get it off I pressure washed it, put it back in the tank for one day. Pressure washed again and problem sorted.
I even had it lined up to get it sand blasted but re soaked it just to see what would happen. I take the panels out daily and wash off even if they need to go back in. Don't want to get caught again.
Regards Peter.
[color=#400040][i][b][list][size=85]-1923 T-bucket
hudson nut

Re: Citric acid issue

Post by hudson nut »

I will try it. Thank you.
25 Hudson speedster project
29 Hudson coupe
36 Hudson 4dr sedan
36 Hudson LWB 4dr sedan
40 Hudson 2dr sedan
41 Hudson coupe