Commodore 4L60e auto questions

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
uted

Commodore 4L60e auto questions

Post by uted »

I think these came in VT - VZ Commodores ( late VS ? ) Apart from the bellhousing, is there any difference between the V6 and V8 units ?
The 4L60e was the upgrade to the cable throttle valve T400r4 ( 4L60) ----- Is there any physical difference between the two ? eg. are they the same overall length.
"When better automobiles are built, Buick will build them"
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Re: Commodore 4L60e auto questions

Post by FRANK BASILE »

As far as I know uted ,the bell housing would be the only difference. The 4l60e here was first used in the VR Commodore. We have a VP with the non electronic controlled cable version 4l60 that from what I can glean was re named T700 from the VN series.
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
ShedBoy

Post by ShedBoy »

They are the same size physically and you change the insides from one to the other lots of compatible parts but lots of upgrades through the years. Some people like the V6 valve body on a V8 with certain modifications.

Brock
Don't Follow Me I'm Lost Too
uted

Post by uted »

Hey thanks Frank and Brock for the answers. Gives me more options for future direction. I'll keep an eye out for a cracker deal on a Commodore auto.
grahamjb

Post by grahamjb »

The input shaft might be different between the V6 and V8 models
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

If I can make a suggestion. There is a publication I purchased some time back . "GM Automatic overdrive transmission, Builder's and swappers guide" covers 700-R4 4L60 and 4L60E . rebuilds, dimensions and parts id/swapping etc. It is available from Larry O' Toole,s Graffitee publications. Look up their website.
uted

Post by uted »

I did read somewhere about the input shaft differences ( maybe different torque converters also ? )
I'll check out the website Frank.
ShedBoy

Post by ShedBoy »

I have a rebuild pdf I found online if anyone needs it, lots of good quality pictures and instructions step by step. PM me if you want it or if there is an area on here for it I can send it to an administrator. The 2 atsg manuals are really good to for the upgrade changes.

Brock
Don't Follow Me I'm Lost Too
uted

Post by uted »

I've got a 4L60 cable kickdown from a V6 VN/VP that I've been keeping for "maybe" spares for the V8 auto. Can anybody give me a valid reason for keeping it ( internals ?? ) or should it get the chop out of my shed ?
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

I would hang on to it. Aside to the bell housing bolt pattern there would be plenty of internals that are common. Grab a publication that deals in rebuilds and modifications etc. My bet is that the boxes would be the same with perhaps clutches and splines may be different 6 & 8. Servos etc would be the same. I got a Corvette upgrade kit for the 2-3 servo in our VP 6 cyl 4L60 to fix a cold delayed upshift problem. Found that the box had to be dropped to clear the tunnel. Just changed the fluid and putting additive has fixed it :D . Meanwhile I had already purchased a good T700 as back up for the worst scenario . I fitted the kit to it.
uted

Post by uted »

Thanks Frank. I'll push it back from whence it came :wink: