This followed me home

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
rattyrod

Re: This followed me home

Post by rattyrod »

The body line is a different height and shape to the one on the bonnet . By widening the bonnet we have blended the line in so it disappears at the end of the existing bonnet before the extension and was thinking to shape a point into the cowl line to finish that off . That could all change of course.
when are you going to finish it?
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

rattyrod wrote:The body line is a different height and shape to the one on the bonnet . By widening the bonnet we have blended the line in so it disappears at the end of the existing bonnet before the extension and was thinking to shape a point into the cowl line to finish that off . That could all change of course.
I didn't even pick up the height difference in the photo. Sounds like you have a good solution worked out for it.
Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
Chrisso
Old Hand

Post by Chrisso »

Mate from what you started with the result on the bonnet and front guards is just awesome, great stuff keep it comin!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Good stuff Ratty. Has given me some inspiration to tackle some glassing myself. I have a 49 Ford F1 pick up ex USA, and the front guards are glass replicas, but they are F2 with larger wheel openings.
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
rattyrod

Post by rattyrod »

It’s time to get the bonnet hinged . Having it hinged as a 41 Willy’s would not work as the bonnet is now a vee at the back edge so a straight hinge doesn’t work and a 37 Chevy bonnet is hinged through the middle . I had 2 right hand 37 Willy’s hinges which weren’t in the best shape so using one as a pattern I am recreating it out of aluminium , these hinges allow the bonnet to lift up and forward so the rear edge clears the cowl edge . There are 2 thicker inner pieces at 10mm and 4 outer pieces at 6mm
Template , rough cut and polished
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

Glad you have something to follow as working out hinges like that can be a real puzzle.
Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
Sly Fox

Post by Sly Fox »

There going to be some cool looking hinges when finished.
Its always great to see your updates, you've taken on what most wouldn't and taking it to another level.
51 Dodge Custom & 63 EH Ute - Dare to be different
rattyrod

Post by rattyrod »

Like all good plans they usually come unstuck . The plan was to only use 1 centre mounted hinge , after much setting up and testing I finally came to the conclusion it wasn’t going to work .Due to the hinge geometry and shape of the bonnet I will now go to a 2 hinge set up . With such a deep Vee in the bonnet rear edge there was too much overhang from the centre pivot point of the hinge to the cowl corners and this was causing the edge to move down and hit the cowl before moving up to open the bonnet . By having 2 hinges , one at each of the cowl ends this should alleviate the problem
I still have to polish the mounting brackets , turn up some nice screw end caps and make a second hinge
First attempt at a mounting position
This gives you an idea of the rear edge trajectory just buy moving the hinge mount point up and down
This is where it all hits as the bonnet opens up
End result is removal of the top of the cowl and a hinge will be mounted at each corner
Jacksbits

Post by Jacksbits »

HI Ratty
This reminds of a time when I was doing my apprenteship I wanted to upgrade the engine in my low light Morris Minor and got talking to my Tech Teacher about it.
He recommend a Fiat 132 engine and gearbox, I liked the engine but not the gearbox so I adapted a Triumph Herald 4 speed gearbox onto the engine.
The main problem with the Fiat gearbox was the gearshift was for a column shift where as the Triumph was inbuilt floor shift into the gearbox.
After I got it running I took it to Tech to show the teacher who couldn't understand why I swaped the gearbox, he said the Fiat gearbox was a "Collity" gearbox and they were used behind V8 race cars because of their strength.
He then went on to say, and I have never forgot this, "The engineers who design these things have forgotten more than you will ever know".
As I have grown older I tend to agree with him.

Sorry Ratty, but your hinge problem I think tends to come under this, I now know when doing things I do tend to look at what the engineers have already designed, they have the time and money to experiment with design.

Sorry Ratty but it did make me laugh when I read about that and remembered what the teacher said to me.

Jack
steve the ford guy

Post by steve the ford guy »

Another option. I'm not aware if this is legal in Australia but it sure looks the part!