Ozrodders Forum Future

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
Dave
Old Hand

Ozrodders Forum Future

Post by Dave »

The hosting and domain name annual fees for the Forum are coming up in May this year and I need to make a decision about the ongoing future of the Forum. Our wonderful friends from the RRT have kept us going and Frank Jnr (Fatcat) has done all the technical work behind the scenes to keep the site running but he has moved away to a new job and is not in a position to keep that up. The forum has a number of present technical issues that are not yet resolved. One of them is that my admin access has not worked for some time and I cannot do any work behind the scenes at all presently, including approving members. I am not in a position to take over the technical side nor do I possess the programming skill level and no time to learn. We are in a position presently that we need a person with the necessary computer skills, especially in PhP programming to stay alive. On top of this I have personally paid $400-500 per annum (depending on the current exchange rate) to keep the site hosted and domain name current to stay on air. I have done this for over 10 years so it is considerable over time. I am NOT wanting donations or fundraising, that becomes way too difficult long term.

There are a couple of options. The first and most obvious is to shut the forum down in May when the hosting and name expires and not renew them. It would no longer be accessible to anyone. Another is to find another person to take on the 'technical' and programming side and I pay for one more year and spend that year finding a more permanent solution. Another is to find another Hotrodder (or small group) with suitable technical expertise to 'take on' the site longer term, including the financial cost and the technical side to keep it going. There may well be other options that I have not thought of hence this post. I am seeking the input and ideas of our members so over to you.
Dave Petrusma
Jacksbits

Re: Ozrodders Forum Future

Post by Jacksbits »

Thanks for your response Dave.
I, like a lot of others, enjoy this forum and would be prepared to donate to keep the forum running.
One way I know of is how Wikipedia do it, I have taken the liberty of copying their donation page, see link and their way of asking.
It is not unlike our forum problems, they need money to keep their site running, just like us.
I also read Wikipedia and I donate $50 a year for the privilege to do so.
Jack

https://donate.wikimedia.org/w/index.ph ... =navButton

We ask you, humbly, to help.

(this is how we could word it)
We'll get straight to the point: Today we ask you to defend Ozrodders Forum independence.
We're a non-profit that depends on donations to stay online and thriving, but 98% of our readers don't give; they simply look the other way. If everyone who reads Ozrodders Forum gave just a little, we could keep Ozrodders Forum thriving for years to come. The price of a cup of coffee is all we ask.
Ozrodders Forum is a place to learn, not a place for advertising. The heart and soul of Ozrodders Forum is a community of people working to bring you unlimited access to reliable, neutral information.
We know that most people will ignore this message. But if Ozrodders Forum is useful to you, please consider making a donation of $5, $20, $50 or whatever you can to protect and sustain Ozrodders Forum.
Thanks,

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
46 deluxe
Old Hand

Post by 46 deluxe »

I'm all for paying a donation or annual membership fee to keep things going if it helps .
No way should you have to keep paying it yourself Dave .
scott
pilot Dave
Old Hand

Post by pilot Dave »

46 deluxe wrote:I'm all for paying a donation or annual membership fee to keep things going if it helps .
No way should you have to keep paying it yourself Dave .

prob be better to see who would pledge money Scott i would put in as would most regular posters i presume doubt the lurkers would maybe start a thread to see who would pledge money
i dont know which section to start it in to get it noticed the most ???? prob the shed????
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1-DNj8eSf0
Andyd

Post by Andyd »

I would be prepared to donate or pay an annual fee or something to keep the site going. I used Dave Petrusma to setup and keep the website going over the 20years I had my model shop, Scale Automobilia........Dave........could you email me direct at scaleautomobilia@yahoo.com as I have a couple of questions to ask, please............thanks & regards, Andy Douglas
Sly Fox

Post by Sly Fox »

It would be an incredibly sad day if Ozrodders was to end.
Count me in if a membership or annual fee is required to keep it active.
51 Dodge Custom & 63 EH Ute - Dare to be different
Mudgy
Old Hand

Post by Mudgy »

Dave I have no issue with giving a pineapple every year to keep it here mate.

Cheers, Mudgy
Good Judgement comes from experience....experience comes from bad judgement.
pilot Dave
Old Hand

Post by pilot Dave »

i think an annual fee also how about some t shirts with the profit going towards the site as well
i would be prepared to buy
a bulk lot of shirts and be reimbursed the cost when sold???just a thought
the only problem i can see is if only the usual posters pay and the lurkers shirk it will go nowhere
maybe lockout non payers from certain parts of the whole site
a lot only come here when they want water air and info as we used to say
the guys with builds and a few others are carrying the whole shebang
jdaley

Post by jdaley »

Perhaps restrict things like wanted and for sale, technical since we want anybody to get a better understanding.
John Daley, Member # 43, 1946 Chev Ute, 1926 Trackster boat-tail, sidecar racer, Engineers Coupe.
olfrt

Post by olfrt »

I'm a lurker on here. I am building a car/truck but it doesn't fit the rules.
When I finish this (paid) job, I will start on my 27 'T' coupster. (Coupe with the roof cut off.)
I check in at least once a day and see some amazing builds, along with some terrific ideas shared.
I would be more than willing to pay $50 a year to help keep this site running as I consider it a bible to car building.
To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.
ramp

Post by ramp »

I am a lurker, but would be willing to pay something each year. it would be tragic if all the builds and tech info were lost. Hope something can be worked out.
Cheers, Roger.
Cruzin for the SON
Member Chrysler Restorers Club of Aust. (Vic)
Jacksbits

Post by Jacksbits »

Dave, over to you, please set up a separate bank A/C for the forum so we may make our payments as it appears members/readers and even the so called lurkers would be prepared to donate to keep the site running.

Personally I come here every day and enjoy reading what is happening on the forum, even the jokes in the shed section.

Thanks guys I know we can do it and should be able to raise enough funds before MAY to keep the site running.

Jack

PS: I really don't like the expression "Lurker" as some people like to read and either don't/can't like to post or in their opinion don't have anything to post that would satisfy the forum members of their expectations of a "Hot Rod".
pilot Dave
Old Hand

Post by pilot Dave »

Jacksbits wrote:Dave, over to you, please set up a separate bank A/C for the forum so we may make our payments as it appears members/readers and even the so called lurkers would be prepared to donate to keep the site running.

Personally I come here every day and enjoy reading what is happening on the forum, even the jokes in the shed section.

Thanks guys I know we can do it and should be able to raise enough funds before MAY to keep the site running.

Jack

PS: I really don't like the expression "Lurker" as some people like to read and either don't/can't like to post or in their opinion don't have anything to post that would satisfy the forum members of their expectations of a "Hot Rod".
my idea as stated elsewhere start a thread (with no discussion which may go off track ) just to show exactly who would donate to see if its viable and set an amount say $50 for the year crikey some of our imported rod books are heading towards that amount and here has heaps more content
i havent started a thread just for that as i think Dave may be the one to do it remember guys as Dave said May is cutoff date so it would have to be decided by mid April i think

and the reason we need lurkers to post is to get conversations going there have been some great discussions (non political) on things other than rods and customs it creates interest when people "talk" even something small like letting the guys who are building on site they are appreciated for taking the time to post pics etc
Chrisso
Old Hand

Post by Chrisso »

I'm in. May I just say if some of the lurkers grew a set and participated we'd be better off, we don't bloody bite and if can't bring yourself to participate then maybe you should go somewhere else!! IMHO is expressed in the previous few lines. :wink: :wink:
zedman8

Post by zedman8 »

To be fair I am a lurker who at the moment has no car /hotrod/custom yet i log on every day to keep in touch I also am prepared to pay an annual fee just to keep this forum going some of us lurkers are in transit so to speak waiting to buy another toy so then we can participate when we have something worthwhile to say rather than talk shit Dave set up a bank account and I will be one of many to deposit money in to take the burden off yourself and to help keep Ozrodders ALIVE
Mike