Alternator Rebuild

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
sco1035

Alternator Rebuild

Post by sco1035 »

Hi all.

Looking to have a late 60’s AC Delco alternator rebuilt.
Any recommendations for this seemingly dying art?
I’m in Melbourne’s N/W but beggars can’t be choosers!
TIA
46 deluxe
Old Hand

Re: Alternator Rebuild

Post by 46 deluxe »

Go to an auto electrician , if he can't do it he should be able to tell you someone that can .
scott
sco1035

Post by sco1035 »

That's the whole point, a lot of them do not do it anymore. They're almost considered a consumable as a whole.
The couple of guys that I used in the past are both retired.
Mudgy
Old Hand

Post by Mudgy »

That's sad but true. Most will just replace not repair these days (time is money)
A long time ago, reco was cheaper than new.

I asked my old workplace for a solenoid cap, bushes, brushes and a bendix drive for my starter. They looked at me and said we don't do THAT anymore !
Lucky I didn't cut the brushes off. Scrounged together enough dusty bits to make a solenoid cap and had to get my one way pinion from E Bay..

Dr. Google will be your best bet mate... ring around all the auto sparkies you can find.
Happy huntin'

Cheers, Mudgy
Good Judgement comes from experience....experience comes from bad judgement.
chris spokes

Post by chris spokes »

try this mob in narre warren http://www.fgateautoelectrics.com.au if your in se suburbs
sco1035

Post by sco1035 »

Mudgy wrote:That's sad but true. Most will just replace not repair these days (time is money)
A long time ago, reco was cheaper than new.

I asked my old workplace for a solenoid cap, bushes, brushes and a bendix drive for my starter. They looked at me and said we don't do THAT anymore !
Lucky I didn't cut the brushes off. Scrounged together enough dusty bits to make a solenoid cap and had to get my one way pinion from E Bay..

Dr. Google will be your best bet mate... ring around all the auto sparkies you can find.
Happy huntin'

Cheers, Mudgy
Cheers mate.
sco1035

Post by sco1035 »

chris spokes wrote:try this mob in narre warren http://www.fgateautoelectrics.com.au if your in se suburbs
I'll give them a try. Thanks.
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Can be cheaper to replace with a higher AMP internal regulator unit to upgrade that 60,s Delco that most likely has an external regulator. On Ebay there is a place in NSW that has chrome 100A V belt units for $129 plus $25 Postage. Looks like the item on the 350 in my 49 F1. Aside to the battery terminal it has the top spade lug terminals "I' and "S' . [Indicator light and battery sense]
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
sco1035

Post by sco1035 »

FRANK BASILE wrote:Can be cheaper to replace with a higher AMP internal regulator unit to upgrade that 60,s Delco that most likely has an external regulator. On Ebay there is a place in NSW that has chrome 100A V belt units for $129 plus $25 Postage. Looks like the item on the 350 in my 49 F1. Aside to the battery terminal it has the top spade lug terminals "I' and "S' . [Indicator light and battery sense]
Agree Frank, I have got hold of a 3 wire, higher amp alternator to use in the meantime, but the unit on the car is the correct factory part for the car which is an L34 numbers matching Chevelle. Hence the reason to want to recondition it.
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Ok I understand. What is actually wrong with the original?. Usually bearings and brushes commonly wear out. Diodes are pretty robust. The 350 in my Pick up is ex 69 Chevelle. according to the papers I got from the seller in New York that listed everything that was used and done during the 1984 build of the pick up. Even got photos of the truck in bits.
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
sco1035

Post by sco1035 »

FRANK BASILE wrote:Ok I understand. What is actually wrong with the original?. Usually bearings and brushes commonly wear out. Diodes are pretty robust. The 350 in my Pick up is ex 69 Chevelle. according to the papers I got from the seller in New York that listed everything that was used and done during the 1984 build of the pick up. Even got photos of the truck in bits.
\

Very cool.
It died a little while back and stopped charging.
46 deluxe
Old Hand

Post by 46 deluxe »

It might simply need new brushes .
scott