Chassis for prefect using ba falcon front and rear

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
Littlewardy

Chassis for prefect using ba falcon front and rear

Post by Littlewardy »

Hi there,

First time builder so super excited and most likely got a lot of work cut out for me.

Not sure if this has been talked about. I can't find anything on in search.

So my goal is to use the front end(steering, suspension and even crossmembers) and rear IRS cradle from a ba falcon sedan. Plan on using barra engine and transmission also. This is going to be a small budget build as I own a scrap metal business and plan to use as much salvage parts as possible.

I am welder/fabricator so that side of things isn't to much of a drama. More just the chassis design using the front and rear from the ba will make the chassis a lot wider then the original chassis from the prefect. So was also intend to widen the body of the prefect to suit the chassis.

Will be using either 100x50 or 75 x 50 rhs for the chassis. Just trying to work out the best course of action for this chassis for using these parts from the ba.

If you have any input or any photos of similar build I'd be very appreciative if you were to share some of them.
thatold.chevy

Re: Chassis for prefect using ba falcon front and rear

Post by thatold.chevy »

Hey mate - always good using donor cars and the BA blade style IRS is the best of the lot in my opinion.

The front end, however, is not. The upper wishbones sit way too high to easily align mounts off an RHS chassis - however that's only because the spindle has a massive vertical extension on it. This will interfere with everything from the engine placement to the original body lines.
images.jpeg
If you could find maybe a mustang spindle and use the falcon upper arm, that would lower it significantly and then you'd just have to ensure your pivot geometry is maintained when setting up , but there's heaps of YouTube videos out there on the subject.

Another option is the soarer front and rear - they're ideal and can get a bent rolling shell very cheap. The Jag idea is also neat but getting on and $$$, the torana and L300 option is near dead in the water too.

The Great Wall V200 has some compact and trick looking parts for a front end too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Littlewardy

Post by Littlewardy »

thatold.chevy wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:59 pm Hey mate - always good using donor cars and the BA blade style IRS is the best of the lot in my opinion.

The front end, however, is not. The upper wishbones sit way too high to easily align mounts off an RHS chassis - however that's only because the spindle has a massive vertical extension on it. This will interfere with everything from the engine placement to the original body lines.

images.jpeg

If you could find maybe a mustang spindle and use the falcon upper arm, that would lower it significantly and then you'd just have to ensure your pivot geometry is maintained when setting up , but there's heaps of YouTube videos out there on the subject.

Another option is the soarer front and rear - they're ideal and can get a bent rolling shell very cheap. The Jag idea is also neat but getting on and $$$, the torana and L300 option is near dead in the water too.

The Great Wall V200 has some compact and trick looking parts for a front end too.
Thank you for your response I honestly didn't even think of the spindal being so high so I I will need to look into that a bit further. Appreciate that heads up as I was considering copying/cutting/grafting the strut towers out of the ba. With bracing to allow for the use of the ba parts. Although I think that will be a lot more work then what is really needed and probably not practical. So will either find some mustang ones as you suggested or fabricate one as would love to build as much as I can on it as this is also a project to keep my hands and mind busy as well as for me to practice my cad designing.

Appreciate the response as definitely opened my eyes up
thatold.chevy

Post by thatold.chevy »

Oh - well if you're building a truck or similar, then clearance shouldn't be an issue.

This thread here shows how you can fit up a strut-style front suspension in a fairly straight forward manner - but this uses the whole inner guard inside a wider and later model fender body and would probably work well with a truck or similar.

https://www.ozrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57310

Marcus (@Gojeep) has also integrated an entire Grand Chrrokee under a Willys ute. He can hopefully point to the page in which it begins.

https://www.ozrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20217

This mint little jigger by @Beelzeboss also uses one here - https://www.ozrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=63709

I used a soarer front and rear here about 10 years ago now - https://www.ozrodders.com/forum/viewtop ... ernational
46 deluxe
Old Hand

Post by 46 deluxe »

I own 4 BA's and it's not a front end i would put in any sort of hotrod .
Much better options out there .
Holden/torana , jag , last of all you could use L300 if desperate .
scott
Littlewardy

Post by Littlewardy »

46 deluxe wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:01 pm I own 4 BA's and it's not a front end i would put in any sort of hotrod .
Much better options out there .
Holden/torana , jag , last of all you could use L300 if desperate .
Thanks for your response. Could you give me some reasons why they wouldn't be Any good for a hotrod? I'm always open to other ideas but also like to learn.
46 deluxe
Old Hand

Post by 46 deluxe »

They are so much work to fit as you will need to build shock towers into your chassis .
Have you thought about speaking to an engineer , as you will most likely need one to engineer and pass everything for rego ?.
scott
Littlewardy

Post by Littlewardy »

46 deluxe wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:55 pm They are so much work to fit as you will need to build shock towers into your chassis .
Have you thought about speaking to an engineer , as you will most likely need one to engineer and pass everything for rego ?.
Thanks for that. I am currently looking at the mustang spindle to reduce the need for a shock tower. I don't mind work as I have a passion for fabricating and making things work. I am only asking as I want to make sure it will all work before I submit my plan to build.

I am also now considering the v200 or the l300 approach and just use the irs from the ba.

Haven't spoke to an engineer yet as I'm currently do a engineer design draftsman course so going to do the majority of the design and stuff my self then get the engineer to fine tune and make any adjustments needed.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond on the reasons why the ba front wouldn't be a good choice.
46 deluxe
Old Hand

Post by 46 deluxe »

What state are you in ?
As it can make a fair difference in your build .
scott
Littlewardy

Post by Littlewardy »

46 deluxe wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:55 pm What state are you in ?
As it can make a fair difference in your build .
I am in Queensland
SimonG

Post by SimonG »

I am currently building a prefect and have had the chassis approved with ASRF in Queensland so you could check out my thread and get in touch if you need any extra information.

viewtopic.php?t=62960

the chassis plan was wiped due to the photo host but here is a copy

Littlewardy

Post by Littlewardy »

SimonG wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:59 pm I am currently building a prefect and have had the chassis approved with ASRF in Queensland so you could check out my thread and get in touch if you need any extra information.

viewtopic.php?t=62960

the chassis plan was wiped due to the photo host but here is a copy

Thanks mate appreciate that I'm sure you will get a few questions from me. Going to have a read of your thread now.
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

I have a BA falcon IRS in the 35 Ford Delivery Sedan I am building with a HK Holden front end ,had a Holden front end in the last one too ,beautiful ride with the Cleveland weight sitting on it ,such a simple front end to fit and reco ,you can still buy all the bits for them cheap as ,used the later WB Rotors and Callipers, blank rotors drilled for ford wheels .The BA IRS is not too hard to fit but the forward controll arms are a pain so I made new ones and stepped them in a bit with a different bushing set up ,talked to an engineer and he said they do not need to be approved so all was good .good thing about the IRS is you can drop it low and buy some adjustable camber rods so you can keep the wheels correct ,I will see if i can put some pics up for you ,gees that would take a bit for me to do :D :D :D :D :D :D
turns
Old Hand

Post by turns »

Read the Guidelines for your State and then read them again. There is lots you can do and lots that you can't and it isn't always related to the engineering of the vehicle.

46 Deluxe has offered good advice however remember that to get rego you need a Certifier. The Certifier may have an engineering background but they don't offer direct, specific engineering advice typically.

If you use the search engine there is a thread by 'Car Guys Garage' in Melbourne that were putting late model Falcon parts in pick up trucks that may help.

Good luck with the build - owning a scrap metal yard must have it's perks 8)

Cheers Turns
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly"...............Morticia Addams
Littlewardy

Post by Littlewardy »

Thank you all for your responses. Appreciate it greatly. I have decided I am still going to use the ba upper and lower control arms but fab my own spindles similar to the mustang II 2 inch drop design which should put me at the right hight for the control arms to fit under the front guards.

So back to cad I go to draw up the front spindles.

Once again thank you to all that have responded.