1932 Willys 6-90

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
Gojeep
Old Hand

Re: 1932 Willys 6-90

Post by Gojeep »

zuffen wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:10 am Apart from the termite damage the car looks to be in really good condition with very straight panels. The grille especially as it would be a proper bastard to repair.

Would you try and remove some of the body taper?

Will you try and start the engine. if it turns over freely it would be too tempting for me to not try.
Yes, want to remove some of the body taper to keep it as small as possible, but still fit in the hemi and get some shoulder room.

Tempting to start it for sure as would increase the value when come time to sell it. They are a pretty weird setup though and wouldn't want to seize it trying either!
For the last 60 years left outside and been through a grass fire and then used as yard art, pretty good overall! Just a bit of rust in the bottom of both cowls and the bottom of the tub at the rear.
Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

turns wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:27 am Congratulations to Lisa on her first car purchase and it will be awesome to see what you two do with the Willys. It's actually a refreshingly different starting point to a hot rod build 8)
Gojeep wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:02 pm
zuffen wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:42 pm How come you didn't tow it with you Hot Rod Truck?

Also will you be adding a second story to your workshop?

Seriously it looks to be quite tidy and should turn out well.

What drivetrain will it get?
Because I was buying it off a restorer that even kept bits of termite infested timber that had mostly turned to dust! Turning up in a wide bodied hemi powered truck would of set off the alarm bells. ;)
That's funny as :mrgreen:
I wasn't even sure she would go for it when I first showed her but she loved it instantly! Especially the gangster looks of it.
I don't like how tall and narrow the grille looks, but widening that with along with the whole body will fix that. ;)
Marcus

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

Meeksie wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:26 pm Congratulations that's a very nice find. I like the grille and the horizontal louvers on the hood sides look very elegant.
Awesome. :)
Marcus

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
jeffa
Old Hand

Post by jeffa »

I haven't been "on" for a while. And lok what happens!
Still it WAS expected.

That body sure reminds me of my old 1930 Essex. Same shape/size, especially at the front.
And the doors are almost exactly the same (except the Essex doors used one long hinge instead of two).
Very easy job to steel them out too.

The termites look to have done you a favour, getting rid of the wood!

As usual... Watching with interest...

PS, great the missus liked it! Half the battle done and dusted.
Yeah. I've changed my signature. The old one was out of date...
What if climate change IS a hoax, and we make a better world for nothing?
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

Only took 10 years to find exactly what she liked! ;)
Least it was narrowed down to late 20's early 30's very quickly and had to be out of the ordinary. Must be why she chose to married me! :D
Marcus

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

A man of wisdom Marcus. Congrats first on the purchase, and the wisdom of not giving a hint of "hot rodder". I remember the stigma as far back as the 70,s ,thought that in this era of "love, inclusion and tolerance" that it may not be an issue, but far better to err on the side of caution. Our "restored" 34 Ford Sedan that we swapped for our 35 Coupe to a young hot rodder was originally sold to him because he went with his dad to purchase it and he "looked like a nice young man who would not butcher it into a hot rod", I then shoved a small block Chev with powerglide into it and a HK Holden disc front end and Holden banjo diff under it.
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

FRANK BASILE wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:07 pm A man of wisdom Marcus. Congrats first on the purchase, and the wisdom of not giving a hint of "hot rodder". I remember the stigma as far back as the 70,s ,thought that in this era of "love, inclusion and tolerance" that it may not be an issue, but far better to err on the side of caution. Our "restored" 34 Ford Sedan that we swapped for our 35 Coupe to a young hot rodder was originally sold to him because he went with his dad to purchase it and he "looked like a nice young man who would not butcher it into a hot rod", I then shoved a small block Chev with powerglide into it and a HK Holden disc front end and Holden banjo diff under it.
Too many stories of missing out if a hotrodder. He was already quizzing me over the phone about which restorer clubs I belonged to before deciding if I could even look at it. Fortunately I follow a number of said groups, only because I was looking for one of these, and that was enough to appease him. ;)
Marcus

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

Just showing Lisa what it would look like just wide enough to fit in the HEMI into the engine bay and get the interior room we need.
Stock
5" wide body.
The look she wants is an imposing gangster look and I think it actually has it more now?
Marcus

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

In my opinion, which isn't worth much, I think it looks tougher with the added width.

Will you need to widen the chassis rails as well as the body? Thinking the radiator would look a bit odd if thin at the bottom and wider at the top.

When doing the upgrade will you use the 300 dash and as much of the interior as possible?
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

Widen the chassis for sure.
Want to this time disguise the modern interior parts as much as possible.
Hardest will be the instrument panel but at least the first generation had classic looking gauges.

Marcus

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

I agree, the car deserves to keep a period interior or at least dash.

I'm getting ready for the journey.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Meeksie

Post by Meeksie »

Gojeep wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:39 pm Just showing Lisa what it would look like just wide enough to fit in the HEMI into the engine bay and get the interior room we need.
5" wide body.
The look she wants is an imposing gangster look and I think it actually has it more now?
To my eye the spreader bar looks far to wide and the headlights look a little bit odd on top of it.
I do think it will look very stylish as a two door though.
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

Will all be sorted when the time comes for sure. :)
Marcus

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
steve the ford guy

Post by steve the ford guy »

Gojeep wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:39 pm Just showing Lisa what it would look like just wide enough to fit in the HEMI into the engine bay and get the interior room we need.
Stock
5" wide body.
I think a small top chop of 2" and widening the grill shell at the bottom should improve the look. Model T, Model A to 32 Fords had grille shells with straight up and down sides and Ford dramatically changed the look with the 33, 34 model. The grille shell sloping inwards towards the bottom on this car doesn't look quite right to me
enjenjo

Post by enjenjo »

Of course it doesn't look right. It's not a Ford, and no need to make it look like a Ford. Make it the best Willys ever.

No offence meant. The grille being narrower at the bottom was a bit of a trademark for Willys in most of the 30s until they went to pontoon fenders.
People who think they know it all, bother those of us that do.