Couple of L300 front end questions.

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
pilot Dave
Old Hand

Re: Couple of L300 front end questions.

Post by pilot Dave »

i can probably find some pics of how hoppers stoppers completely stuffed fitting an l300 f/end into a rod among a lo of other stuffups
goodfront end if fitted correctly
the frontend had to be cut out and refitted along with a 15month rebuild of the car
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1-DNj8eSf0
mercury mitch

Post by mercury mitch »

Ted Robinet has done a couple of articles on L300 front ends in Australia Street Rodger mag.To get it to handle better redrilltop wish bone holes,drop front one 13 ml and rear 25 from memory
Life is a learning curve, endevour to learn something new every day jees I hope I never get alz alz alz alz
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

With the L300, just be aware parts are getting harder to locate.

I would love a new set of top arms as the balljoints are showing wear and I can't find replacement balljoints or arms.

The joints are not really removable so I'm looking into what joints I can replace mine with.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

Despite what I said in the above Post, parts are available.

Supercheap appears to sell the inner fulcrum pin for the upper control arm, with new bushes so that can take care of the inner end.

The outer balljoint I haven't found in Australia.

What I have found is the upper control arm is available in Indonesia, South Africa and the Phillapines.

Unfortunately you need to join the Webpage to buy and the pagers don't recognise Aussie phone numbers.

I've sent a message off to the South Africans to see what they can do.

Lower control arms appear easier to get. I did buy new lower balljoints a while back and they most likely fit a raft of Mitsubishis'.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

zuffen wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:58 am With the L300, just be aware parts are getting harder to locate.

I would love a new set of top arms as the balljoints are showing wear and I can't find replacement balljoints or arms.

The joints are not really removable so I'm looking into what joints I can replace mine with.
Rod when i fitted mine to the 37 rather than ream the holden stubs for the l300 ball joints i modified the top arm to take holden ball joints and made a plate for the bottom to take the holden lower ball joints. Top are bolt in as per Holden and the lowers you unbolt as in the L300 then just press the holden ball joints out and new one in
Regards Bob
toprodz
Old Hand

Post by toprodz »

Sudsy wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:30 am
zuffen wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:58 am With the L300, just be aware parts are getting harder to locate.

Rod when i fitted mine to the 37 rather than ream the Holden stubs for the l300 ball joints i modified the top arm to take Holden ball joints and made a plate for the bottom to take the Holden lower ball joints. Top are bolt in as per Holden and the lowers you unbolt as in the L300 then just press the Holden ball joints out and new one in
I pretty much did the same as Sudsy, with the bottom plates and HQ lower ball joints, for the top arms I used Gemini lower ball joints in the top arms which are the same size taper as a HQ upper, I opened up the hole size a little and pressed them in place,
Gemini lower ball joints are what Rod Tech use in there upper arms
Regards
Peter Gough
FOUNDING MEMBER #24 OZ-E-RODDERS ROD & KUSTOM CLUB
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

Interesting.

I can buy upper arms from Malasia but need a local to do it for me.

Anyone with a Malasian National contact would make it easy.
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

zuffen wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:37 pm Interesting.

I can buy upper arms from Malasia but need a local to do it for me.

Anyone with a Malasian National contact would make it easy.
Some people have used Holden upper control arms instead of the L300
Regards Bob
uted

Post by uted »

I've read that Holden HK/T/G front springs can be substituted for stiff L300 originals. Question is --- would the car sit at the same height ?
Currently I have the originals installed and are very stiff. I suppose if Holden springs make it sit higher then can cut a bit off to get desired ride height back.
"When better automobiles are built, Buick will build them"
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

Bear in mind cutting a spring increases it's spring rate.

This is because you have fewer turns of the coils to move.
uted

Post by uted »

I'm thinking that too. Even cutting off say 1 coil , has to be softer than the L300 ones I would say ??
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

Measure the diameter of the wire in the coils. That will give you a good idea of which is heavier.

I would have thought the Holden ones had more weight on them than the L300, but IDSTBC.
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Yes HKTG springs fit. I did fit a set i had but must have been 6 cyl springs as they were too soft. I just cut a coil off the l300 and went with them but i do like a firm suspension so probably not to everyones taste
Regards Bob
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

zuffen wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:33 am Measure the diameter of the wire in the coils. That will give you a good idea of which is heavier.

I would have thought the Holden ones had more weight on them than the L300, but IDSTBC.
Also the more coils it has, the softer, (less pitch). Greater gap between coils makes it stiffer.
Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
uted

Post by uted »

I think some / most of my problem is not enough air gap between rubber bump stop and tower ( what is your gap ? ) ---- and the rubber is too hard I think. I took them off and cut some so waiting now for road test once cross member goes back in.