Couple of L300 front end questions.

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
zuffen

Re: Couple of L300 front end questions.

Post by zuffen »

I cut my bump stops down about 20mm and things improved dramatically.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
uted

Post by uted »

Me again. Decided I'm going to have to change the front springs --- too hard. Started looking for HK T G springs. Rang Kings Springs and was told they won't fit because the bottom coil won't sit into the L300 lower wishbone mount. Have also spoken to a fellow rodder who has a L300 front end he tried them also, won't fit. Ended up using EH springs. Says the his HK springs are 330mm high and Kings say theirs are 280mm ? So now I'm totally confused. King Springs recommended LC LJ Torana springs because of the spring rate.
"When better automobiles are built, Buick will build them"
uted

Post by uted »

Anyone have any experience with the above spring information. I've got the front end apart now and keen to know what fits and what doesn't. Thanks.
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

I can't answer your question about springs but do you know where you can get replacement upper arms or the bushes for them?
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
uted

Post by uted »

No unfortunately. I hope I don't get to that stage of where to get those. A new old stock source somewhere ?? Or maybe hunt down another front end but they are getting harder to find now, plus potential wear on them.
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

I know you can buy new arms in Asia and South Africa.

The problem is the online sellers won't ship out of their country.

You can get them on Alibaba but buying 20 at a time is a bit over the top. however maybe if I purchased 20 at least Ozrodders Members would have a supply for years to come?
uted

Post by uted »

What about Aliexpress ? Maybe you can one set there ?
46 deluxe
Old Hand

Post by 46 deluxe »

zuffen wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:21 am I can't answer your question about springs but do you know where you can get replacement upper arms or the bushes for them?
What about nolothane 45329
scott
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

45329 is for the 86 and younger vehicles.

I'm looking at what I can do with Aliexpress.
uted

Post by uted »

Me again. Decided I'm going to have to change the front springs --- too hard. Started looking for HK T G springs. Rang Kings Springs and was told they won't fit because the bottom coil won't sit into the L300 lower wishbone mount. Have also spoken to a fellow rodder who has a L300 front end he tried them also, said won't fit. He ended up using EH springs. Says the the HK springs he's got are 330mm high and Kings say theirs are 280mm ? So now I'm totally confused. King Springs recommended LC LJ Torana springs because of the spring rate. So who has fitted what please. :?
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

I've got King heavy duty L300 springs with 1 coil removed.

The ride is OK and I had to cut the bump stops down.

Interestingly I use standard L300 front springs in the rear 5 bar set up.
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

Try this link.

It may give a better idea of what's needed.

viewtopic.php?t=33636
46 deluxe
Old Hand

Post by 46 deluxe »

What year l300 f/e are you after the parts for ?
scott
uted

Post by uted »

I had a look at that link Zuffen, thanks. It mostly talks about spring rates and calculating front axle weights -- which I don't have for my vehicle unfortunately. King Springs recommended that as an important guide. My issue right now is finding a spring that will physically fit into the upper and lower wishbone mounting pads. If I can identify what make / model spring will fit and others have used, then it just has to be a trial and error to get the perfect height ( and stiffness ) As I previously mentioned I have read a few times that HK HT HG springs will fit , but twice I've been told they won't. Spoke to Kings yesterday and they said try Torana V8 spring, which is going to be hard to find used. I don't want to spend hundreds on new springs that won't suit. What front shock absorbers did you fit ?
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

Slow in replying, sorry.

I'm after SB upper control arms, which I'm pretty sure is 1981. I can find them listed on a few sites but when you look they are the later series SF and up. The new look vans. I'm trying to find part numbers for them as they may be the same as L200 utes, and I can find those arms all over the place. Similar aged Delica top arms could fit but who do you ask and would they know?

I'm pretty sure I used Torana shocks.

I've never found anywhere that describes springs by their dimensions which would be handy.

The problem I see is it's a moving target.

If you drop the spring rate the spring will compress more so you need a longer spring to get the same ride height.

Plus if you find the rate and the spring is too long, you up the spring rate by cutting coils off.

It isn't easy by any strectch.