39 Ford stubs question

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
steve the ford guy

39 Ford stubs question

Post by steve the ford guy »

I have a light rust pitting problem where the front hubs inner seal runs on my front 39 stub axle.
Is there sleeve kits available to address this problem? Or do I get a machinist guy to make and fit a custom made sleeve.

Also want to heat and bend the steering arms to clear my dropped axle. The car will use a bolt on steering arm on one side like this for push/pull manual steering: https://images.app.goo.gl/V81nifsZLc7UB4CK7
and be fitted with 14" wheels with minimal width tyres, hardly something likely to stress the axles steering arms reduced now to only linking both sides. I posted a link in 2020 to a how-to on bending steering arms and got trash canned I now regret posting it.

Although people here say it is against the law & "dangerous" which is unscientific because like Maffra revealed it then becomes safe if the government sells you a license to do it.
Maffra wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:55 pm If you want to bend steering arms in Australia get someone who knows what they are doing and provides an engineering certificate for their work. My understanding is that Gary Page in Victoria is the only person in Australia that can do it with such aa certificate.

If that is what is required, frankly it is pointless arguing against it !

Regards :)
zuffen

Re: 39 Ford stubs question

Post by zuffen »

A Speedi sleeve should fix that and you can do it at home. https://www.skf.com/binaries/pub12/Imag ... 128020.pdf

As for heating and bending the steering arm as long as it's Forged and it's done correctly I wouldn't have a problem riding in the car.

if you don't tell no one will know!
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
steve the ford guy

Post by steve the ford guy »

I found this how-to guide on Facebook...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1995317 ... tid=KtfwRi
I plan to use this to guide me. I have a spare damaged axle to practice this on, and thanks for the reply Zuffen :wink:
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

A machined sleeve to suit a replacement bearing seal is a method for the pitting. Just remembering back to the late 60,s early 70,s when Ford Customline Drum brakes could be fitted to 48 Ford Stubs. A machined stepped sleeve was made available to suit the Customline seal ,long ago now but this sleeve may also have had a shoulder that allowed the Customline inner bearing fit as well.
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

As Rod has mentioned a speedy sleeve will work fine. Just be careful to get it square when fitting. otherwise get a sleeve made in stainless and never worry about it again. The steering arms can be bent if done correctly. There is a bloke Gary ??? in Maldon i think that bends axles and steering arms and they are accepted in Vic as far as i know but don't quote me
Regards Bob