"Boss" - EH Ute Build

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
chris spokes

Re: "Boss" - EH Ute Build

Post by chris spokes »

i vote for clear coat the outside and clean up the inside, they are some well looked after rear wheel arch's in the ute bed. and a vote for the 327 8)
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

A few Stats on the run.

It was 560K's from door to door.

On the outward trip the all up eight of the car, occupants, tools/parts and trailer was a little over 3.5tonnes. We averaged 13.8 litres per 100K, or near enough to 20MPG. We didn't hang around and sat on the speed limit (would we speed?) all the way with the last 100klm at 110KMH.

On the return the train weight was around 4.5tonnes and economy dropped to 16.1l/100klm or 17.5MPG and again we sat on the speed limit. There was more traffic on the return run that meant more on and off the throttle.

Both ways we averaged around 80KMH for the entire trip.

The journey was up over Bells Line of Road which has a lot of very steep hills and winds quite a lot. Coming up out of Lithgow, which is steep with a slow sharp corner at the foot of it, we overtook one car that was doing 40kmh. They must have been startled when the trailer with a car on it went past and disappeared into the distance.

Given the weight I'm impressed with the performance and economy on the old girl.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Chrisso
Old Hand

Post by Chrisso »

Nice Pete, a lot of potential there i'm thinkin. Hot 6 or an 8? 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Sly Fox

Post by Sly Fox »

When the ute arrived home one of my neighbours that is a car salesman and worked for Holden came to have a look and from the old number plates, he worked out it’s a 63 model the same as me.

He then went and did some checking of the build plate and told me it was built in Pagewood and was build number 804.

The other surprise under the bonnet was the factory 149 engine had been swapped out for some more power.

I’d like more power and the original plan was to go with a V6 but I have a scratch that might need and LS1 to cure it, plenty of time to decide so for starters we got this out of the way.
51 Dodge Custom & 63 EH Ute - Dare to be different
toprodz
Old Hand

Post by toprodz »

Great looking project, it looks to be very complete, even the spare wheel door is still there, love the visor,
I am looking forward to your build, as I have a soft spot for EH's
zuffen wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:49 am
The journey was up over Bells Line of Road which has a lot of very steep hills and winds quite a lot. Coming up out of Lithgow, which is steep with a slow sharp corner at the foot of it, we overtook one car that was doing 40kmh. They must have been startled when the trailer with a car on it went past and disappeared into the distance.
I know the Bells Line, we traveled to the ASRF Hawkesbury Street Rod Nationals at Easter earlier this year, we stayed one night in Bathurst on the way up, came around the first sharp corner out of Lithgow, I looked up and thought what the ####, no place to turn the Hotrod and caravan around, then thought of the Nike saying "Just Do It" we passed a small truck in that first passing lane, kinda blew his mind from the look on his face, then hardly saw another car, spectacular drive and scenery

The pies where very good at the "Pie In The Sky Roadhouse"
Regards
Peter Gough
FOUNDING MEMBER #24 OZ-E-RODDERS ROD & KUSTOM CLUB
Twin Spinner

Post by Twin Spinner »

Dare to be different :twisted:
I worked with a feller up in the NT years ago that dropped a 351 windsor and C4 into his EH, from memory, he only had to fit a remote oil filter.
If it has tits or wheels, you can expect trouble.
Harv

Post by Harv »

toprodz wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:06 amComing up out of Lithgow, which is steep with a slow sharp corner at the foot of it, we overtook one car that was doing 40kmh. They must have been startled when the trailer with a car on it went past and disappeared into the distance.
https://youtu.be/-gV7fXH45FA

Cheers,
Harv
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

My old Benz is a Petrol engine and not the diesel the fuel economy is amazing and the pulling power (with a lot of revving) is also brilliant.

The pull up from Lithgow is legendary.

If you took the great Western Highway the pull up Mt Victoria is longer and just as steep.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

Getting stuck into it already. Great to see. :)
Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
Sly Fox

Post by Sly Fox »

toprodz wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:06 am Great looking project, it looks to be very complete, even the spare wheel door is still there, love the visor,
I am looking forward to your build, as I have a soft spot for EH's
zuffen wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:49 am
I know the Bells Line, we traveled to the ASRF Hawkesbury Street Rod Nationals at Easter earlier this year, we stayed one night in Bathurst on the way up, came around the first sharp corner out of Lithgow, I looked up and thought what the ####, no place to turn the Hotrod and caravan around, then thought of the Nike saying "Just Do It" we passed a small truck in that first passing lane, kinda blew his mind from the look on his face, then hardly saw another car, spectacular drive and scenery

The pies where very good at the "Pie In The Sky Roadhouse"
Thanks Pete, Thats a great photo of the Tourer and van.

It sounds like you and Rod drive the same way, I've driven that hill out of Lithgow countless times and the trip home was one of the quickest up the hill.
Sly Fox

Post by Sly Fox »

Gojeep wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:14 pm Getting stuck into it already. Great to see. :)
We spent the day stripping it and by this Saturday all the original suspension, motor, gearbox and bench seat will be sold and picked up.

The plan is to finish stripping it all down and I'm thinking of sending it off the Redi-Strip to have a swim in the tanks. Has anyone had a body done by them, any feedback would be great to hear.

Once the body is cleaned up it's going to be stored away so I don't get distracted so I can focus on finishing the Dodge.
I'll just chase a few parts for the EH so there ready when its time comes.
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

Will they epoxy coat straight after the strip? Otherwise you would be better off leaving it until you are ready to work on it.
Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
Sly Fox

Post by Sly Fox »

Gojeep wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:16 pm Will they epoxy coat straight after the strip? Otherwise you would be better off leaving it until you are ready to work on it.
They don't paint the epoxy but have other products that they offer as well as suggesting having it painted ASAP.

You're probably right about leaving it till I'm ready. it's safe and dry now compared to its long life outside and after a good clean it doesn't smell anymore.
hewey
Old Hand

Post by hewey »

Sounds like a great project mate, and a fun adventure to go pick it up. Looking forward to following the build.
Pariahs C.C.
Sly Fox

Post by Sly Fox »

hewey wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:32 pm Sounds like a great project mate, and a fun adventure to go pick it up. Looking forward to following the build.
Thanks Hewey, I'm looking forward to getting into this one, it just has to wait its turn.
It was good fun and great memories picking it up and tearing it down with Zuffen.