The Genesis of HAMBsters... (last before the drags 2/12)

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
HeyyCharger

Post by HeyyCharger »

Wow!

Fantastic work to you all.

Magnificent to see Hot Rodders come together and build something as cool as you guys did!

A credit to you all.

HC.
"You gotta let the power speak..... You gotta learn to listen and feel it!"
jdaley

Post by jdaley »

I am trying to sort out the front radius rods.
I have some prefect ones which are kinked, so I think I need to either straighten them or keep looking. Is taht correct?
Otherwise I can make new ones from hollow rod with yokes welded on the end. Can anybody help me with dimensions of the rod I should use please?
Thansk you
John Daley, Member # 43, 1946 Chev Ute, 1926 Trackster boat-tail, sidecar racer, Engineers Coupe.
Drewfus
Old Hand

Post by Drewfus »

jdaley wrote:I am trying to sort out the front radius rods.
I have some prefect ones which are kinked, so I think I need to either straighten them or keep looking. Is taht correct?
do not use the kinked units, in your circumstance, I'd keep looking for an appropriate replacement.
jdaley wrote: I can make new ones from hollow rod with yokes welded on the end. Can anybody help me with dimensions of the rod I should use please?
Thansk you
it is possible/feasible to cut the yokes off and recycle them using new replacement steel, however, I'm not going to promote that on the internet....

There are a number of options, including having some hairpins made, repairing the damaged elements, etc, or complete replacement with another set of wishbones, and there are a number of examples on the net that illustrate repairs and fabricated varients, that are well done, effective, and fit for purpose.

But....kinda like buying a lambo or ferarri, if you have to ask the price, then you probably can't afford it, same when it comes to fabricating a replacement.....

Your best bet is to either source a replacement set of 'bones' that are fit for service, or purchase a set of hairpins from a number of suppliers to suit your intended axle.

Cheers,

drewfus
"actions speak louder than words....." & "you can only get an expert opinion from an expert.."

http://www.dayofthedrags.net/
Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

Drewfus wrote:
But....kinda like buying a lambo or ferarri, if you have to ask the price, then you probably can't afford it, same when it comes to fabricating a replacement...

Cheers, drewfus
.....similarly, if you have to ask the most simplistic questions about the most basic engineering and mechanical procedures, then perhaps you are not up to the task....... :roll:
-------------
Col....

"Works" comes before "looks good", cos "looks good" changes, and "works" works!
QQMOON

Post by QQMOON »

Oldcol wrote:
Drewfus wrote:
But....kinda like buying a lambo or ferarri, if you have to ask the price, then you probably can't afford it, same when it comes to fabricating a replacement...

Cheers, drewfus
.....similarly, if you have to ask the most simplistic questions about the most basic engineering and mechanical procedures, then perhaps you are not up to the task....... :roll:

I thinkin the same thing John have you got and pics of these projets your doing ? may be we could advise you better if we could see what you were doing.......

QQ
jdaley

Post by jdaley »

You may be right Col,
but I have built many racing sidecar framess, landspeed bikes etc.
Only one broke and it took out my neck at the time, some say the brain also.

So this car stuff is different, but I think I have the knowledge of when I dont have the knowledge and thats when I ask for help.

I have actually built two cars that are specials, one with Austin A40 gear and another with Ford 10 stuff, and on each occaison I got help with the front end.

The Hambster has been something where because it does not go around corners etc at speed I thought some of the issues may not be so problimatical, IE kinked radius arms.
John Daley, Member # 43, 1946 Chev Ute, 1926 Trackster boat-tail, sidecar racer, Engineers Coupe.
Drewfus
Old Hand

Post by Drewfus »

jdaley wrote: The Hambster has been something where because it does not go around corners etc at speed I thought some of the issues may not be so problimatical, IE kinked radius arms.
HA/GR cars are just like any other vehicle, its steering/braking, and suspension elements are all very important, and not to be comprimised with the principal of because it's going in a straight line.

Bottom line is, if your existing part is damaged, then replace it, either by the direct replacement part, or, by something else 'appropriate' (ie hairpins or fabricated wishbone).

Cheers,

Drewfus
"actions speak louder than words....." & "you can only get an expert opinion from an expert.."

jdaley

Post by jdaley »

I will look at the fabrication process.
Mark Shearer has made a few suggestions of alternative designs which I am playing with.
Drewfus
Old Hand

Post by Drewfus »

jdaley wrote:I will look at the fabrication process.
Mark Shearer has made a few suggestions of alternative designs which I am playing with.
ok, sounds good, as mentioned, you can go hairpins (get Mark to make them :wink: :D ), and recycle the ends of your existing, kinda like this...

Note: the above is the design & work of Brian Bass

http://www.basskustom.com/

Cheers,

Drewfus

jdaley

Re: The Genesis of HAMBsters... (last before the drags 2/12)

Post by jdaley »

I am about to set up the Slant 6 in the chassis.
Is there a preferred height about the ground, angle to diff etc that I should consider please?
Drewfus
Old Hand

Post by Drewfus »

as far as positioning goes, position it as you would in a normal car, with about 3-5 degrees centreline variance to the tailshaft, with the engine crank centreline parrallel with the input to the third member (diff centre).

Obvously, don't bring the engine to far back as you need to make sure you have plenty of room to move, and operate the pedals etc.

Cheers,

Drewfus

QQMOON

Post by QQMOON »

A trip down memory lane they were the days LOL

QQ
QQMOON

Post by QQMOON »

Far out brussel sprout 43000 Views
JG67k

Post by JG67k »

Holy crap ,just read all pages with total astonishment, what you guy's have done in just
ten or so month's. That photo with tyre's peeling with just a hint of smoke, man talk about
the grass roots day's, Love it.
Overdrive

Post by Overdrive »

Big read, but very informative. Congrats to all the guys who have finished these so far. I love em!